Friday, July 24, 2020

Virtual School here in town

So, the superintendent of our public schools has announced that all schools will begin completely virtually this fall (until at least the end of September). This came as a bit of a surprise because the parent survey sent out a couple weeks ago did not even list this as an option. The county south of us is offering the choice of in-person instruction with masks (5 days/week for elementary and middle and 2 days/week for high school) or a virtual learning academy. My hometown in Indiana is going back like "normal" (although they probably have to wear masks, too). There was no perfect solution, but I think streamlining it to all online allows teachers and staff to focus their energies on doing that well. The superintendent said they had invested in an online curriculum that was more robust than the emergency Non-Traditional Instruction days from the spring.

Lucas' first comment was, "Homeschool is canceled! Set the kids in front of the screen!" I'll admit that I did have that thought -- it sure would be easier to just hop on to the resources provided by the school district. However, the time of homeschooling that I enjoyed the most last spring was when I was in charge of their learning those first two weeks, and I didn't have to defer to another teacher, and I was able to tailor their instruction to their needs. We skipped ahead in math, but then writing was like pulling teeth, so I simplified that.  

I view this school year as a "trial year" for homeschooling to see how it works for our family. Although it won't be a typical homeschooling year as far as being able to enjoy a co-op or take fieldtrips or go to the library, I will be in charge of when and how and what we "school."  By staying at their public school just for the formality or for the resources wouldn't allow me to teach the way I want. I ordered all our curriculum before the announcement, so we are committed!

This also shows that it would not have been possible for me to stay at my school (a private Christian school), which is planning on in-person instruction for the fall, since all four boys would have to be at home. Well, I guess Lucas could do it, but he sure wouldn't be able to get much work done while wrangling all the boys.

I'm thankful we have options. I'm thankful for a superintendent who is putting safety over people-pleasing. I'm thankful I was already on these pages of homeschooling ever since my seminary class this spring with a homeschool super fan.

This isn't easy. Lucas said that many schools all around the world will be trying out every possible scenario for what "school" will look like this fall. Only time will tell who made the right call.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...