Monday, October 26, 2020

The Straight, Level Path

Oh, how I prefer the straight, level path! This is one of my favorite places to walk in town because of the wide, even, straight, tree-lined walkway.  Different Scriptures come to mind -- asking God to lead us on a level path (Psalm 27:11) and trusting in the Lord, knowing that He will make our paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6). The straight, level path makes it easier to pull the wagon, and there are fewer tripping hazards...



...but my boys preferred a different path the last time we were there. They chose to explore "off-road" and climb the dirt hills on the side. Now, to be sure, there are negative spiritual parallels to getting off-track and finding yourself in the weeds, but as I watched them struggle and conquer, I thought of the value of the hard path.



When Colson was first learning to walk, we praised every effort to stand, first by holding onto something and then free-standing without any help. We counted the seconds that he stood before toppling over. 

After perfecting the standing part, we started helping him take steps. We would remove any obstacle in the path and make it as easy for him as possible. And, lo and behold, we have a walker!



We no longer praise his ability to stand by himself.
We no longer remove every obstacle in his path.



So, as tempted as I was to keep him on the easy, paved path, I let him climb with his brothers... 


...which meant he needed help, 



...and it often resulted in tears
 


...and he got all dirty


...and he got tangled up (hmm...remind you of letting go of the "sin that so easily entangles" from Hebrews 12?)


 ...but...that's how you learn. The sense of victory comes after the uphill battle...
(by the way, this is Cooper, the two-year-old. The one-year-old made it to the top, too, but I didn't take a picture, probably because I needed my hands free to make sure he didn't fall!).

When my boys were learning how to walk, I tried to make it easy for them -- removing the obstacles in the way, holding their hand any time there was a chance they'd fall, making the path level and straight... 

But now, as the parent of walkers, my role has changed. I want to challenge them with 
hills 
and rocks 
and dirt 
and vines. 


When they fall on their faces, I brush off the dirt and help them back on their feet.
When they are tempted to quit, I encourage them and show them the next step.
When they need help, I'm right there. I was never far away.
When they succeed, I celebrate their victory as my own.

And through it all, I get a glimpse of a Father in heaven who is 
much more strong
much more compassionate
much more wise

and I imagine Him saying something like this...

Yes, child, sometimes I make your paths straight and level, but if you are to be as "surefooted as a deer" (Psalm 18:33), you'll have to climb on the rocks sometimes. To "pass through the waters" (Isaiah 43:2), you're going to need to get your sea legs. My desire is not to cripple you but to make you stronger. My goal is not for you to remain in the comfort of what has already been conquered but rather to "let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:4). The way is not easy, for "in this world you will have trouble" (John 16:33).  But, know this: just as you walk alongside your sons through the hills and the valleys, over the obstacles and the level paths, so I walk with you. 

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you.
-Isaiah 43:2

I still like the straight, level path on our walks and in my life, but I'm realizing that, deep down, I want...
growth over mediocrity
with Him over easy
coming-out-stronger-after-all-the-challenges-of-this-year over straight and level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...