Saturday, November 21, 2020

Your exam treats are waiting in your dad's office

(poem written on 11-20-20 after observing an interaction between a graduating senior and his mama)

A bit disheveled,
    his eyes weary from lack of sleep
    his backpack weighing down his shoulders (and mind)
        with looming projects and passing deadlines
    his words expressing the worry and stress of "not enough" --
        not enough money
        not enough time
        not enough emotional bandwidth for all the goodbyes

Did you pick up your exam treats?

He said his schedule is booked solid
    from the time he wakes up
    until he lays his head down, exhausted
Places to go
Things to accomplish
People to see
    and the time left in the semester is running out

Your exam treats are in your dad's office
You should try to get them today

(Little does he know
    that there are treats!, chocolate!, and money!
        waiting for him
            if he will only make the time to pick them up)

And I think about my own disheveled self and my own chaotic day
    rushing from thing
                    to thing
                    to person
                    to task
                    to mess-to-clean-up
                    to toddler-to-console
                    to argument-to-mediate
And all the while
    there are "exam treats"
        waiting in my heavenly Father's "office"
They've been there all along
    but I was too busy yesterday to stop by

I complain
    about the chaos
    and the stress
    and the to-do lists...
Unaware...
    (or maybe it's just that the busyness has just caused me to forget)
        ...that taking the time
                to go to my Father
                    will bring the peace
                                            rest
                                  and joy that I'm craving

Press pause on the never-ending checklist
Treasures in His Word are waiting...

Will I take the time to stop by today?




Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” -Matthew 11:28-30

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. -Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...