Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Meet a Memorizer! (Joyce)

In this series, you will meet several folks who have been faithfully memorizing Scripture this year as part of our 2021 Scripture Memory Challenge on Facebook. May you be encouraged and spurred on by their stories!

Next up is Joyce, who was my 11th grade English teacher. When I reached out to her at the beginning of the year, she said, "I will confess I am terrible about memorizing scripture." She set the goal of two verses/month, but she not only has accomplished that goal, she often posts video recitations for two passages. Many people say they have a terrible memory, but memorizing Scripture IS possible!



-Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm from New Castle where I was born and raised.  I am a retired high school English teacher (and occasionally French) with two children and four grandchildren.

I keep busy with volunteering with our Friends of the Library  group, of which I am president, serving as the secretary/treasurer of the condo association where I live, and serving as the clerk of our church's Session and helping with our food pantry.  I also have a small dog, Paco, who keeps me active as I must walk him several times a day.

-How did you get connected with the 2021 Scripture Memory Challenge? Why did you decide to join?
I got involved in the Scripture Memory Challenge because my former student, Mary, invited me and convinced me I could do this although I had told her I'm not very good at memorizing scripture.
-How did/do you choose what to memorize next?
So far, I've chosen verses and passages that were familiar to me but which I hadn't successfully memorized.  I also jot down verses that the pastor uses on Sunday to see if there are any that appeal to me.  I usually write the verse down and then continue to say it over and over until I feel confident.  The longer verses (like the Beatitudes) have taken me a week or more, but the shorter versions I can usually memorize in a couple of days--saying it often and checking myself. 
-How have you personally grown as a result of memorizing Scripture this year?
I've enjoyed the challenge as it encourages me to spend time in the scriptures.  I'm always happy to find a passage I had marked from a Bible study because it helps me remember what I had been studying and gives me new ideas for memorizing.  I do feel a little more confident in recalling scripture and have used these when I have been called to fill the pulpit at my church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...