Sunday, November 7, 2021

One day at a time...


Sometimes intentionally
    and sometimes unintentionally
I leave things in my winter coat pockets
    for me to discover half a year later

Last week, on a day cold enough 
     that I needed my winter coat,
I was walking laps around the playground
"talking to myself" (as my boys thought)
    and reviewing the book of Romans,
    a chapter at a time.

My hands reached into my pockets
    some Dove chocolates (still good?),
    a band-aid wrapper,
    pieces of an ink pen my son had taken apart,
    and an index card that I curiously pulled out to inspect.

On it was written:
"Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus,
    called to be an apostle..."
It was the first seven verses of Romans
    from back in January when I was just embarking 
    on this adventure of memorizing the whole book.

Back when I didn't know what I was getting myself into
Back when I was stuck on the first few verses
   and wondered how I could ever do the whole thing
Back when it all felt so overwhelming

But day by day,
    verse by verse,
    chapter by chapter,
I kept at it.
Some days more victorious than others
Some days more overwhelming than others

And here I am
    a year later
ready to recite the whole book 
    to a live online audience

I think of those small, regular decisions...
...to write another song
...to review the previous chapter
...to write out my verse
...to recite to my sons
...to listen to the audio and try to fill in some words
...to find an existing song I could use
...to walk laps around the playground "talking to myself"
All those added up to where I find myself today

On the contrary, 
I think of all my New Years' desires to be closer to Jesus
    that were met with small, regular decisions
        not to pursue Him
            in the daily,
            in the ordinary,
            in the seemingly inconsequential
    that resulted in a December looking back
        without much growth
    and no real traction for moving forward
This was the year-after-year script of my 20s

I'm convinced that the dramatic 
    is built up over time
        with small choices,
        and simple habits,
    one verse at a time,
    one day at a time,
always intentionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...