Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Homeschooling Phase 1.5 - Forest schooling (September 2020 - January 2021)

    "Forest schooling" has been less of an independent phase and more of an ongoing exploration.  We are fortunate to have a creek and small "forest" (mostly honeysuckle and winter ivy) in our backyard.  Often whenever we'd finish with schoolwork for the day, we'd head to the forest and/or creek. We created and named trails, found mushrooms, and observed animal tracks in the mud.  On a couple days, we even set up trails in a little clearing and brought all our schoolwork to the forest.  While we were sitting there one day, someone noticed a raccoon climbing up a tree nearby.  It perched itself at the top, and we were all a bit mesmerized watching it, since raccoons in the daytime are a bit of a rarity.  

    Apparently, "forest schools" are an actual thing.  According to forestschools.com, forest schools are "nature-based communities where trained practitioners nurture learner-led exploration and discovery, nurturing meaningful experiences for positive lifelong impacts."  I'm not necessarily a "trained practitioner," but I let the kids lead the way in their discoveries and play. Occasionally, I would throw in a botany lesson or have them collect leaves for rubbings, but it was all very informal.  Although we'd not pod-schooling anymore, we still do a good bit of forest exploring.

Finding a puff mushroom

More fungi!

We found a teepee of sticks! (I knew that a neighbor had built one, but it was fun to stumble upon).

Using a fallen log as a chair

Making a bench with boards and crates

And making a bridge with the boards

Game time around the old spool





Copywork outside



Independent work time




Written reflection (translation): Forest school was okay. I didn't like Carter bothering us. Me and Henry threw rocks in the creek.


Sometimes the little boys would join us, too

Walking on a log

Candid...

...and posed


Measuring our heights and estimating tree heights

The raccoon!

Looking up at the raccoon

Climbing trees (I believe this is right before a fall)


The whole crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2025 Scripture Memory Camp

Back to camp! This time, we drove through Alabama to stay with some family friends and to check off another state off the boys' list. An...