Sunday, August 7, 2022

CO Road Trip Day 13 - STL Zoo and drive home!

We were two hours from St. Louis.  On our way through the city, we had stopped downtown at the sculpture park. This time, we were passing the Zoo, which is an awesome FREE zoo, so we stopped for a couple hours.

Parking in the lot is $15, but you can often find free parking on the roads, so I pulled over to let Amy and the boys out, and it was a quick turnaround -- not everyone had their shoes on, they needed sunscreen and probably a snack.  After I parked, I saw that Amy had the huge goldfish cracker box with her. I wondered why in the world she would have such a massive thing for us to carry around at the zoo.  Apparently, I had said something about giving them a snack and had gestured towards the goldfish crackers. I don't remember this, but I don't doubt that I said something like it. So, it maxed out the space in my backpack for the morning, but we were prepared with snacks!

I had two priorities that are especially neat attractions at the STL Zoo -- the penguins (which you can get super close to) and the hippos (which have countless fish on them eating their poop and their dead skin).



It was another hot summer day, but we made the most of our time. 


The little boys loved looking at the zoo map.




Lions!



Flamingoes!



Zebras!

This was a cool semi-indoor (but felt outdoor) bird aviary.



The boys especially loved this climbing structure near the monkeys.

There was a clear glass tunnel where you could get right next to the monkeys, one of whom was a cute, playful baby.


Here are all the fish by the hippos.





5 more hours to get home! We stopped to get Wendy's for our last meal on the road -- it was a special treat since it was the only time we had fast food. They were happy for a break from PBJ (especially since Carter has recently decided that he doesn't like peanut butter anymore!).

We were definitely loopy by the end, but we made it without having to stop for gas again. 3591 miles and 11 states! What a trip to remember!

Here's the crew in front of the van as we said goodbye to Amy, who had a final two hour stretch to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...