Tuesday, June 23, 2020

I hear it...


I hear it in their voices
these sudden outbursts of anger
the I'm-annoyed-with-you tone
the dramatic exasperation over something trivial
And in my Don't-talk-to-your-brother-that-way lecture,
I wonder aloud...
Why are they so easily angered?
Why so irritable?
Why so quick to raise the volume?
and then the echoes
of my own boiling frustration and annoyance
from minutes, hours, days earlier
point the finger squarely back at me
Me.
I have been their teacher.
I have been their example.
When my harsh words stir up anger,
then that's what they'll choose, too,
no matter how many times I tell them
"A gentle answer turns away wrath."

I need deep breaths.
I need breaks.
I need a full tank.
I need the Holy Spirit's fruit in me.

They need these things, too,
but they also need an example
of choosing love even when frustrated.

I heard it in their voices,
but first, they heard it in mine.

What will they hear next?

(written 6-22-20)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...