Thursday, July 16, 2020

Grandma - Centering on Christ

Back right pew.
Left side near the aisle.
That was their spot, so it became our spot, too.

As yummy as the chicken and noodles were, I'm so glad that Grandma passed down more than her food; her faith was incredibly important to her. My family attended the same church where my grandpa was the elder for 25 years and where my mom played the organ ever since she finished college. It was the one "just down the road" from my grandparents' house where we would attend before our Sunday night family gatherings.

I don't remember a ton of conversations with her about faith, but even as a kid, I recognized her spiritual influence. I remember intentionally giving her one of my VBS crafts (a butterfly picture that hung by her bed) because I wanted her to know how I appreciated how she had passed on her faith to me.  Whenever we would spend the night at her house, she'd remind us, "Say your prayers."  At church in that back pew, she'd slip candy to us when we were getting restless. She'd also give us a dollar to put in the offering plate as it passed.  

I learned more about her faith at her funeral.  Family members referenced her love for Jesus -- how she'd share the Gospel, study her Sunday School lesson, pray for her family, help the needy (financially, spiritually, in prayer). She looked for the good in people. She could always find something good to say about someone. If my uncle would be talking about someone singing way off key, she'd say, "Wasn't that good they sang with love in their hearts?"

There were three songs in particular that I remember Grandma particularly liking. I can still hear her singing "be glory-fied" in her warbling voice. Though we never had conversations about the words, I choose to believe that the song lyrics were the cry of her heart. This, too, is part of her legacy. I join the chorus, Lord. As my grandma sang, be glory-fied in my life today, too.

In my Life, Lord, Be Glorified
In my life, Lord, be glorified, be glorified
In my life, Lord, be glorified today.

In my song, Lord, be glorified, be glorified
In my song, Lord, be glorified today.

In Your church, Lord, be glorified, be glorified
In Your church, Lord, be glorified today.


Just a Closer Walk with Thee
I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be


Here's a video my brothers and I made for my mom with the song 
"Just a Closer Walk with Thee"



I'd Rather Have Jesus
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold.
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Than to be the king of a vast domain
or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything 
this world affords today

This is a compilation of songs from our Free Will Baptist hymnal.  
At the 14:35 mark, there's the song "I'd Rather Have Jesus."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...