Thursday, July 16, 2020

It's Thankful Thursday!

Before I go to bed, I try to record at least a couple things from the day that I can record in my gratitude journal. It's a way for me to focus on gratitude instead of complaint. I may go days or weeks without writing anything and then list a couple pages' worth another day. I do number them (at least, the top ones on each page) as a way to "count my blessings, name them one by one."

When I taught fourth and fifth grades, I gave each student a gratitude journal for them to record their own blessings at the end of the day. Often, on Thursdays, we call it "Thankful Thursday," and plaster our blessings all over the white board. Usually, things like "pizza" and "Clash of Clans"  would be up there, but I would remind them that if "every good and perfect gift is from above (James 1)," then we really can thank Him for ALL things.

I thought I would type out some of my own gratitude journal items on "Thankful Thursdays" here on the blog. It probably won't happen every week, but it can be a reminder to any readers to try the discipline, too! (After all, it was a blog where I first found out about it!)

Sometimes, at the top of the page, I will write a short prayer to remind myself that it's God I'm praising for these things. I'm not writing for the sake of a "feel-good" practice.


JESUS, You are the Giver of every good and perfect thing. In the big and momentous and in the small and ordinary, You delight in the details of my life. Thank you for Your provision of one blessing after another. Give me eyes to see all the good!

40,761. a few quiet moments while dinner's in the oven
40,762. in the middle of several good books
40,763. Colson's wild hair
40,764. a drive around town today
40,765. We're debt free (cue the Dave Ramsey scream!)
40,766. Lucas' hard work and diligence
40,767. working as a team
40,768. Colson able to walk across the room carrying shoes or pans or whatever
40,769. learning to embrace the chaos
40,770. Libby app on phone
40,771. bluetooth speakers in kitchen
40,772. Rhythms of Renewal audiobook - so good!
40,773. able to get books from the library again
40,774. packed up tent before the rain
40,775. audiobooks for the van = opened up a whole new world
40,776. seeing Colson in the same clothes the other boys wore
40,777. encouraged by Stacey, Rachel, Katie K, Aidan's therapeutic writing for themselves that touches others
40,778. ability to stay at home
40,779. timer on the oven
40,780. 5Q Zoom group this morning
40,781. Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy (Psalm 126)
40,782. getting the link to Hannah and Stephen's wedding
40,783. technology to make that possible
40,784. that I'm not planning a wedding now
40,785. how helpful the big boys are
40,786. rain for our tomato plants
40,787. 10 years ago tomorrow -- engaged!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...