Friday, July 17, 2020

Grandma - Crossing the Finish Line


(I don't think this was her last Christmas, but it was one of her last)

"Alzheimer's is a terrible disease for such a wonderful woman." That's how my oldest brother Matt began his remarks at Grandma's funeral in January 2009. My grandpa had switched to Heritage nursing home before his death in January 1999. Grandma eventually followed -- first, selling their home (so, so sad to say goodbye to that house of memories!); then, at an assisted living facility on the other side of town; finally, at the same nursing home where we said goodbye to Grandpa. 

I grew up going to nursing homes to visit grandparents and to sing carols at Christmas, so I wasn't bothered by them. As we got older, my brothers and I would even bring our instruments to sing familiar hymns in the dining room. There was power in the familiarity of the music. Long after Grandma had forgotten many things, she could still sing along with the hymns from her past.  It was one of our last remaining points of connection.  

I'm not sure when she was actually diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but by the end of 2008, the disease had robbed her of all the things I had known and loved about my grandma. She even looked different. When I visited her at the nursing home that Christmas, I realized that though she was still alive, I had already said goodbye to who she once was. She passed away not long after in January. 

I'm grateful that her story doesn't end there.  The legacy of how she created community, cultivated "home," and cooked amazing meals lives on in our hearts. And, most importantly, because of how she trusted in Jesus for salvation and centered her life on Christ, she is now healed and whole in heaven with a new body and a new mind "in a land where we'll never grow old."


(three poems, written on 12-26-08)
I visited my grandma today
Or what's left of her
No, she's not dead
but she might as well be.
Is that horrible of me?
   to wish my grandma was dead?
Sounds horrible...
   but not if you know the situation.
The truth is,
   she's not living anymore
She's a shell of what once was.
Even now
   I'm struggling to find closure
   to say good to my grandma
      who is already gone.

--

My only grandma left
    is slowly fading
It gets worse
    each time we visit
First, not recognizing me
Now, not even talking
First, a twinkle in her eye
Now, a blank stare
First, a faint recollection of familiar hymns
Now, not a recollection of anything
It was sad
    and it's getting sadder
        each time
            I see her.

--

The nurses at Heritage nursing home
    haven't a clue
    of what my grandma was like
She was kind
She was patient
She worked hard
She loved much
She opened her home
She opened her heart
She cooked for us
She dined with us
She held the family together
She held me in her arms
She made my bed
She made my day
She prayed for me
She taught me how to pray
She took care of her ailing husband
She took care of me when I was sick
She read to me
She played with me
She sang
She giggled
All these things she did
    are but a memory    
        and the nurses haven't a clue

 --
(written on 1-22-09)

I wrote a poem about Grandma
    the last time I saw her
Who knew that that last time 
    would be
        the last time I saw her

I kind of expected it.
I should have guessed.
The reality, the finality of it all,
    rocked me more than
        I would have guessed.




This was one of our Christmas Eve gatherings. After Grandma moved out of her house, we celebrated Christmas at various houses over the years. I'm guessing it was around the early 2000s when I was in college. Grandma was still able to join us that year.

Playing and singing at the nursing home


1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts, Mary. I've been reflective lately too, but my memories don't come together fluently like yours. Thanks for sharing your gifts of reflections. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...