Saturday, July 11, 2020

Homeschooling Journey Part 3

(written in my prayer journal on 3-31-20)

Yeshua,

I feel uniquely suited for homeschooling -- loving to teach all ages and subjects (even specials), having experience teaching in public/private and general classroom/specials, being able to enrich the curriculum and challenge gifted learners, teaching the whole child and bringing in discipleship, having an awesome "outdoor classroom" in our backyard/creek/woods, having several homeschooling co-ops in Lexington, having the space in our house, having a husband who also works from home (and can teach upper level math and science!). I've mentioned before that I have felt a "mental shift" in no longer feeling like I teach 5th grade and instead feeling the pull to teach my own children. At the same time, this is a BIG decision with major repercussions and sacrifices. I LOVE Summit, and we LOVE Clays Mill, and it's hard to imagine walking away from both of them. 

I even have to fight against real prejudice toward homeschooling -- I'm a proud product of public schools and a big fan, and I grew up with a less-than-stellar view of homeschooling. I also wonder if my kids will "miss out" on opportunities like band, and I wonder if we can make the financial leap -- giving up my salary + paying for curriculum and such. And could I really handle that much time with my family? Some things would be harder than "coronaschooling" (actually having to decide on curriculum, responsible for getting through more than we are now), and some would be easier (able to go to the library and other fieldtrips, connection to a homeschool group).

All this to say, I really feel like this is from You (starting to get my wheels turning through my seminary class and then setting up this unprecedented time at home), but I don't want to jump the gun. Am I just making assumptions? Am I making a big decision at a time when you're not supposed to make big decisions? I don't think I would have come to this conclusion on my own, but I want to be prayerful, not just thoughtful (praying about it, not just thinking about it). I'd like to avoid this decision as long as possible, but my principal wants my intent form this week. "Not returning" feels too soon. "Returning" feels dishonest.

[Note: Often after journaling a prayer, I will listen for Jesus' response. I write what comes to mind. I'm not claiming for these words to be the "inspired words of God," but I do believe God speaks and wants to speak to us if we will listen. In my journal, I write my own prayers in cursive and then His responses in all caps.]

MARY, I HAVE SPOKEN, I AM SPEAKING, I WILL CONTINUE TO SPEAK. I THINK YOU KNOW THE ANSWER. IT'S NOT LESS THAN. IT'S WHAT I MADE YOU FOR. STEP INTO IT WITH CONFIDENCE KNOWING THAT I HAVE PREPARED THE WAY BEFORE YOU.







1 comment:

  1. Wow, Mary, I love reading your blogs...all of them spark something in my mind...and heart. Keep writing and sharing. Looking forward to following your homeschool adventures with my precious grandsons. Love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...