Sunday, August 9, 2020

Land o' Goshen!

Goshen. I think I've only been there twice. (Goshen, Indiana, that is). My cousins live in the northern Indiana town, so that's my first thought when I hear "Goshen." Apparently, "Land o' Goshen!" is also an idiom that is a "mild exclamation of surprise, alarm, dismay, annoyance, or exasperation." (https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com)

The Goshen that has been on my mind, though, is the one in Genesis 45. Carter and Calvin have been studying the life of Joseph as part of the Bible Bee Summer Study. One of the memory passages was Genesis 45:10-11. As usual, we sing a song to help us memorize, and little two-year-old Cooper, who obviously isn't doing the workbook study but who overhears everything, will insert "Goshen" when we sing the first part of the verse -- "You shall dwell in the land of..."

The context is that Joseph, who had been sold into slavery by his brothers, is now second-in-command to the pharaoh in Egypt. God gave him insight by interpreting Pharaoh's dreams that there would be seven years of abundant crops followed by seven years of famine. During the years of plenty, they stored up food so that they would have enough during the years of famine. Joseph's brothers, back in Canaan, came to Egypt to buy some grain "before we all starve to death" (42:2 NLT). 

Joseph recognized his brothers, but they didn't recognize him. He wanted to test them to see if they had changed. They went back to Canaan with grain, which lasted awhile. There wasn't any relief from the famine, though, so as they were about to run out of grain, Jacob sent them back to Egypt. This time, when Joseph was satisfied that they had changed since their days of cruelty to him, he revealed himself. He also acknowledged God's provision in sending him to Egypt to be able to preserve their lives with food.  And that leads to the memory passage...

10 You shall dwell in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near me, you and your children and your children's children, and your flocks, your herds, and all that you have. 11 There I will provide for you, for there are yet five years of famine to come, so that you and your household, and all that you have, do not come to poverty.’ -Genesis 45:10-11 (ESV)

As I was singing this song on a walk, I thought of our present circumstances of social and emotional famine. So many people around the world have been stretched thin.  Hyper-vigilance about germs. Stress from reading the news. Uncertainty of if/when there will be a return to normal. Inability to be around friends and family. And even in our "lack" here, I realize that we are so fortunate with our needs supplied. 

I think back to hearing "two weeks" off from school back in March. That seemed like such a long time. And then it stretched to the rest of the school year. And now it's reaching into the next school year. It's natural to wonder "How long? When will this end? How much more can we take?" 

Joseph's brothers had come to the end of themselves (and their food supply) not just once but twice. And then they hear that there are five more years of famine.  They at least had a timeline of when it would end, but they had to feel desperate and depleted. The "low fuel" light has been on too long, and they're running on fumes.

Enter Goshen. 

Joseph, the brother that had despised and rejected, is providing abundant land and food for them. They can come with their children and grandchildren and all their flocks and herds, knowing they will all be cared for, even if the famine won't be ending any time soon.

And it got me thinking...man, I wish I could be plucked up out of this famine and placed squarely in provision and abundance. Our whole world is struggling, but is there a Goshen somewhere? Is there a place where I can trade in my worries and just be cared for?

And that led me to...Jesus. 
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” -Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

“Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” -John 16:31-33 (NIV)

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” -Matthew 28:20b (NIV)

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:19 (NIV)

He promises rest for our souls. He promises peace in a world of trouble. He promises to be with us...to the very end of the age.  He will meet all our needs, according to His riches (which are more abundant than 7 years' worth of grain). 

He may not pluck me out of the windswept boat or lions' den or angry crowd or famine-struck Canaan, but He will be my Goshen right where I am. He will be my plenty, my abundance, my enough-ness.  I didn't even do anything to deserve it. (in fact, like the brothers, I deserved punishment instead of mercy). All I have to do is come with my weary and burdened self. Come with my children and flocks and herds and all that I have. There, He will provide for my every need. I can breathe, I can rest in Goshen. In Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...