Friday, August 7, 2020

Little --> Much



(poem written on 1-13-20)

I love memorizing Scripture
I love writing songs for verses
I love adding new verses 
What I don't love
    is when You use those verses
        to convict me of a hard truth
like    
    right
        now
I know that's one of the main purposes
    of memorizing in the first place -- 
        "that I might not sin against God"
Well, something keeps coming to mind
    and I keep trying to dismiss it as no big deal
        but the song/verse
            "One who is dishonest in a very little
                is also dishonest in much"
        keeps ringing out in my ears
            (pesky song!)
And while I can rationalize the "little," 
    I sure don't want it to lead to the "much"
Worse (to me) is that another verse has come to mind
    "Therefore confess your sins to each other
        and pray for each other
            so that you may be healed."
Which is leading me not only to "do better"
    in this matter of dishonesty
        but to confess it as sing to (gulp) my principal
As I lay awake in bed last night,
    instead of reassuring me that I didn't have to go to those lengths,
        You actually brought to mind
            additional ways I have been dishonest.
Ugh. Really?
I tried to push them out of my mind until morning
    to sort through (and rationalize) it all then
        but wouldn't you know, 
            that pesky song
                immediately came to mind in the bathroom this morning
Ugh. Double ugh.
I know that one part of fasting 
    is confessing sin
        but I don't know that I'm up for this
Will You give me courage?
Will You help me take the narrow, hard road
    even if there are consequences?
Oh, how I'd rather have transformation
                                    that is instant
                                        and sacrifice
                                    that doesn't cost me anything
Thank you for walking with me through this
                                                    through the hard
and thanks for the second part of the song
    "One who is faithful in a very little
        is also faithful in much."
Help me to be faithful in this one "little" thing
                                         You are asking me to do
            so that it will lead to...
                    much


(Oh, and here's that "pesky song")
"Faithful" by Seeds Family Worship based on Luke 16:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...