Monday, October 12, 2020

Scripture Prayer - My soul clings to You

One of the reasons I love to memorize Scripture is because when I pray for others or talk to Jesus myself, the Word of God is already in my mind and heart. 

I've mentioned how I've been having some spiraling thoughts lately -- some are challenging in a helpful way, some are paralyzing. I try to let those anxious thoughts be a trigger to pray. Today, though, I thought I would be more specific and pray Scripture whenever those thoughts come to mind.

Many psalms are actually songs or prayers, and they can be very raw emotionally. The one I've chosen to pray today is:

My soul clings to You;
Your strong right hand holds me securely.
-Psalm 63:8

In college, I memorized Psalm 63 from an older version of the New Living Translation. With this psalm, it's already written as a prayer directed to God. As anxieties, uncertainties, and questions come up today, I want to quickly shift gears to "My soul clings to You, Lord; Your strong right hand holds me securely."

As a mom of little boys, I know a thing or two about clinging. Thankfully, God the Father is more patient when we cling to Him. Here's a picture of my strong (left) hand holding Cooper securely.



A friend sent me this video, and this old hymn has breathed new life into me. 



Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...