Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Poems from December 2015


This time of year (well, really, all the time), I enjoy reflecting by looking back at old poems and journal entries. These are all from December 2015. So much has changed, so much is the same...

(poem written 12-1-15. Ah, four-year-old Carter! We still have a birthday party with cake for Jesus, but He still hasn't come in person to His party yet.)

Your Cupcake
Mom-Mom, dis is a present!
    ...For someone special!
        ....Whose birthday is coming!
            ...It's Jesus!
Dis is for when He comes
    to His birthday
Don't let Calvin touch it
    because it's for Jesus

I'm sure Your heart smiled, 
    like mine did,
        at Your plastic cupcake present.
I'm sure You love Your gift.

And I'm sure Carter thinks 
    that You're coming soon,
        and we're counting down the days 
            to Your party
        (and who's not at their own party?)

I hope I haven't set him up for disappointment
I hope he always lives in eager expectation
O come, O come, Emmanuel
    God, be with us once again
    Come ransom Your captive bride
And when You do,
    don't forget Carter's gift waiting for You


(poem written 12-1-15)

Your Cupcake (Part 2)
Carter has insisted
    that the plastic cupcake
        is a gift for You    
            when You come
And I got the craziest picture
    that I might see
        that plastic cupcake 
            in heaven someday
That when You come in the sky
    You might pause our gathering 
        for just a moment
            to go receive Your gift
                from my boy
You honor childlike faith
    and boy, does my boy have it!
May he always look to Your coming.


(poem written on 12-19-15. A Covid Christmas is a little different -- less rushing, fewer gatherings with fewer people. We've limited gift-giving, but it can still be stressful to me)

The Holiday Treadmill
Party-planning and gift-giving
    are now consuming my brain
Good things
    can be twisted into bad
        when pushed to the extreme
How did I let myself get carried away like this?
How can I stop this treadmill?
How do I calm my mind?
O come, Emmanuel
You came for the frazzled and the busy
You speak peace to the world and to my heart
You cut away the excess and simplify what is needed
You can be found, not in a city or palace, but in a manger
Quiet my mind
    so I can hear Your whispers
        in this season


(poem written 12-19-15. 2020 would've been the year that Carter started receiving the traditional letter grades. Another reason I'm glad we're homeschooling.)

The Four-Year-Old's Report Card
It's what I've been wanting
    and requesting
        but when I finally got it
            I didn't know how to respond.
Carter's first "report card"
I was overwhelmingly pleased
    with all he knows and how he has grown
        and yet I had this strong desire
            to want to move all his 1's to 2's
                and 2's to 3's
         as if I'm already
             trying to get him aboard the "all A's" pursuit
                that has driven me most of my life
He's 4! Chill! Relax!
It's okay if he hasn't mastered scissor cutting
    and doesn't show much interest in writing
Why do I fixate on the "needs improvement"
    instead of celebrating the areas of mastery?
Thankfully, this inner battle
    didn't spill out into words of "not enough"
        but man, here we go!
Help me learn the balance
    of improvement and celebration
    and to speak the right words over my son
        in these formative years.


(poem written 12-19-15. Strikingly similar now as I'm at my parents' house. One difference is the whole "everyone else is asleep" part. There are four boys now, and they're all awake at that hour.)

His Language of Love
It's 6:41 a.m.
Everyone else in the house is asleep
    except for my dad
        washing dishes and prepping breakfast.
Really, is there any doubt
    that his love language is
        acts of service?
He serves tirelessly
    out of love for his family
Cooking and cleaning as I grew up
    and cooking and cleaning now
This is how he speaks love
    but the question is, how does he receive love?
Because if it's acts of service,
    we haven't been loving him very well
        in his language
Father, bring healing and wholeness
    and let this be a family
        where we give and receive love fluently
            in many languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...