Saturday, January 9, 2021

Where to Start - the John 11:35 Club

"Maybe you could point me in a good direction. Or send a few easier Scriptures to begin with?"

Another question to our Facebook Scripture memory group. 
And yes, I can (and I'll try to keep it simpler than my answer about how to find Scripture songs).

The simplest answer is -- begin with the pages God has you on these days
The best verse to memorize now is the one that you need to hear/remember/learn/believe 
in your current circumstances. 

Back in 2015, I needed to memorize Proverbs 14:1 -- "A wise woman builds her home; a foolish woman tears hers down with her own hands" (from an old version of the NLT) because I realized that I had a choice in our family whether I was going to build up or tear down with my words and actions. Another one from that season that still convicts me is the part in 1 Corinthians 13:5 that says "love isn't irritable."  Whenever I think how irritating that person is, I think back to this verse, and I chose Love's way.

Although I can't answer for YOU what verse is best for you in your current circumstances, here are some other thoughts regarding "easier" as well as popular verses.

As far as "easier" Scriptures to begin with, there's obviously the shortest one -- "Jesus wept" (John 11:35). When people tell me they can't memorize Scripture, I tell them to join the John 11:35 club. Yes, you can!

The shortest two verses back-to-back are "Rejoice always. Pray continually" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-17), and you might as well tack on the next verse because it's great, too -- "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Now, just because it's short doesn't mean it's the best verse to memorize! Consider this three word verse: "Eber, Pelug, Reu" (1 Chronicles 1:25). Yes, all Scripture is God-breathed and useful to teach us (2 Timothy 3:16), but I probably wouldn't start there! (hmm...it DOES remind us that He knows our names!).

One short but really good one is "When I am afraid, I will trust in You" (Psalm 56:3).

As far as popular verses, John 3:16 is probably the most commonly memorized/known verse. You could also work on the verses before or after. You could also start with ones that are familiar enough that you basically have them memorized already and just need to perfect the words and learn the reference, like Jeremiah 29:11Philippians 4:13, and Romans 8:28.

Here are some "classic" verses that are worth memorizing. The first one is especially pertinent for these days we're living in. If you click the link, it will take you to a Seeds Family Worship song to help you memorize it.
  • Philippians 4:6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (NIV84)
  • Mark 12:30-31 - Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (NIV)
  • Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (ESV)
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. (ESV)
These are two that I have memorized and now frequently pray:
  • "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14)
  • "Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)
As far as easiest psalms, the shortest is Psalm 117 (2 verses!) that you can easily learn from the Sons of Korah song. Other good starting points are Psalm 23 (6 verses), Psalm 100 (5 verses), and Psalm 121 (8 verses), all of which have excellent songs from The Corner Room. There's also a beautiful psalm-like short chapter in Isaiah 12 (6 verses), which you can learn in the NKJV from Esther Mui.

As far as easiest books of the Bible to memorize, the shortest is 2 John or 3 John (depending on if you go by number of verses or number of words). These might not be the most impactful to memorize, though. Jude and Philemon both have 25 verses, so they could be memorized in a year at about 2 verses per month. I'd highly recommend Titus because it is the sixth shortest book (46 verses) but is chock-full of amazing truths to meditate on. This would be about a verse a week over the course of a year.

If you're curious, here is a website to find the number of chapters and verses from each book of the Bible.

Just remember: BABY STEPS! 
You won't get it perfectly the first time. 
Start small, and keep at it. 
This little guy was barely standing last summer 
and now likes to run down hills, 
making me nervous.
You have to start somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...