Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Lexington Parks - Phoenix


Phoenix Park (100 East Main St)
Location - downtown, next to Lexington Public Library's Central location
Playground? no
Trails? N/A
Other? dog park, water feature (seasonal)

    I'm sad that we haven't been to this library in over a year. It's one of our favorites! When I was a teacher, I set up a fieldtrip called "Library Day," where we'd go to 4 of the library branches in one day. I remember eating lunch here in Phoenix Park. We always walk through it when going from the parking garage to the library. On this particular day, we parked over by the old courthouse and walked through the snow from Tandy/Cheapside Park to Phoenix Park and back.
    I learned that the name "Phoenix Park" comes from this site being the Phoenix hotel, where sit-ins were held during the Civil Rights Movement. We had just read a book about Sit-Ins, so I thought it was a neat connection to learn about what had happened locally and how Black women were leaders in the movement here.

(The snow kind of makes this sign hard to read. Alas...)


They love pressing the buttons to go activate the WALK sign.


The directions and mileage to Lexington's Sister Cities


(Note: We visited all 88 LFUCG parks in the span of a Covid year -- mid-March 2020 to February 2021. These are not meant to be extensive reviews but more a record of our experiences. Eventually I will add hyperlinks to all the blog entries here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...