Saturday, November 27, 2021

Christmas Passages (in Song!) to Memorize:

"And it came to pass in those days that there went out a decree..."

I still remember the King James Version of the Christmas that my dad made us memorize as kids. We'd recite it together on Christmas day, and I can still remember the words decades later.

In my early days of memorizing the verses from the Seeds Family Worship songs, I reached out to them suggesting an album of Christmas verse songs. Turns out, it was already in the works (Seeds of Christmas)! I was happy to add that to my other Christmas music because they're verses straight from the Bible and not just songs about baby Jesus. 

Last year, I re-memorized the Luke 2 Christmas story with my boys, this time in the ESV.  This year, we'll be learning Mary's Magnificat/Song of Praise from Luke 1.  In the spirit of Christmas and music and Scripture memory, here are some great songs to learn if you want to memorize something related to Christmas this season:

Matthew 1:18-24 (NIV) - This is the account of the angel visiting Joseph.

Luke 1:46-55 (ESV) - Mary's Magnificat/Song of Praise - This is the one we'll be learning during the month of December.


    Here's Seeds Family Worship's version of the first half of the Magnificat. I absolutely LOVE this song and used it in a K-8 Christmas program when I was teaching music at a Christian school.
    



Luke 2:1-20 (ESV) - This is the traditional Christmas story. We used this song to memorize it last year. It took awhile to get the hang of it, but my boys still remember it a year later, even though we didn't really review at all during the year.


There are a bunch of videos for just verses 8-14 of Luke 2:
    Eric Graef (ESV)
    Seeds Family Worship (NIV84)

Isaiah 9:6 (NIV) - 
    Jump Start 3 (NIV) - upbeat
    Corner Room (ESV) - folksy
    Handel's Messiah (KJV) - this will be familiar to many

And then a few more obscure passages that you might not think of right away as Christmas passages: 

Luke 2:29-32 (ESV) - Song of Simeon - when Simeon sees Jesus brought into the temple at a young age


Micah 5:2-5a (NIV) - this is one of the OT prophecies pointing to Jesus

Happy memorizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...