Saturday, December 11, 2021

Read through the Bible in 90 days with me!

Resolution time is almost upon us.  Reading through the Bible in a year is a resolution for many Christians, but the resolve often wears thin a few days into the new year.  That's why I thought it was crazy last year when I heard that a friend of mine was reading through the Bible in 90 days.  Apparently this is a "thing," and as I looked into it, the more intrigued I became.  Yes, it's a lot of reading. Yes, it will take sacrifice, but in some ways, a 3 month sprint may be easier to commit to and complete than a yearlong marathon. And the value of getting a zoomed-out view of the Bible is worth the sacrifice! So, in the first part of 2022, I'm going for it, and I hope you'll join me!

The Scripture Awakening website has tons of info and FAQs and testimonials of others who have successfully completed this reading plan. 


But for now, I'm just trying to gauge interest in who would like to join me for this challenge next month.

Who can join?
  • Anyone anywhere! 
    • Christian/nonChristian
    • male/female
    • young/not-so-young
    • veteran Bible reader/never-cover-to-cover-Bible-reader
    • friend/family/acquaintance/stranger
What is expected?
  • reading the Bible, cover to cover in 90 days. The recommendation is to actually read the words, not just listen to an audio version (although you could listen to the audio while reading if that's helpful)
  • checking in with our online group. This may take various forms, and I'm open to suggestions, but I'm envisioning a weekly 30-minute Zoom call (keepin' it short!). I'm also considering pairing same gender members of the group for simple check ins throughout the week. Accountability is a big factor in the successful completion, and I know I will need encouragement along the way!
When is it?
  • Sunday, January 16 - Friday, April 15 (Good Friday)
    • I like the idea of starting in January when everyone seems more motivated
    • I also like the idea of ending on Good Friday to have an aerial view of the whole of Scripture as we head into Easter
  • I'm not sure when the Zoom call will be -- we'll try to find a time that works for everyone in the group. My preference would be when my kids are in bed, but I can be flexible!
What do I need?
  • a Bible! They recommend getting this specific Bible because it is broken down into 90 days and doesn't have all the extra study notes that can be distracting. It's in the NIV. However, you can use any Bible in any translation. I purchased a used copy.
  • the reading plan. You can print out this bookmark or start the reading plan on the YouVersion/BibleGateway Bible app. If you have the 90 Days Bible, it's about 12 pages a day.
  • (optional) participant's guide to help document your journey. It has book overviews, personal progress charts, and room to journal questions for reflection.
Is it possible?
  • Yes! I've read testimonials and watched videos of strangers who have completed it, but I also have friends who can affirm that it's possible.
  • It's just reading -- not studying.  And some of those passages that we might usually slog through are over in a jiffy!
  • We're doing this together with others. It'd be a lot easier to give up if you're doing it alone.
  • Committing to something for 90 days is easier than committing to something for a whole year.
  • Instead of adding this to your already-busy plate, you will most likely have to replace something (TV, sleep, other reading, etc.) in your daily schedule. 
Here's a video that serves as a quick intro to the program:

Think about it. Pray about it. Count the cost. And let me know if you're interested or have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...