Saturday, January 1, 2022

Book Review of Another Gospel? by Alisa Childers

(this was my Goodreads review of Another Gospel? by Alisa Childers. I finished the audiobook, read by the author, on 12-10-21)


This was just what I was needing! I've found myself in a season of doubt and deconstruction (though not knowing this term at the time) but ultimately resolving to follow Jesus as best I know how, throwing myself on His mercy, and upholding the Bible as the Word of God. I read Faith After Doubt by Brian McLaren because I wanted to read about doubt but not ending in a spiral of doubt but landing in faith on the other end. Well, that book was all about progressive Christianity and evolving past doubt into this I'm-a-Christian-but-everyone-else-is-okay buffet of beliefs and redefining of Scripture. That was not the perspective I was going for. His book was helpful in some ways but also left me quite a bit vulnerable in other ways.

Enter Another Gospel?. Alisa Childers named a lot of what I was experiencing and wondering and questioning but had the end-in-mind of upholding biblical Christianity. In some ways, she brought up even more questions that I hadn't considered, and in some ways, I wish I was still blissfully ignorant. But overall, this book was very timely and grounded and solidifying of my views. Another reviewer mentioned how he leaned toward progressive Christianity as far as social justice issues but toward historic Christianity in terms of beliefs and orthodoxy. That's kind of where I am. I want to be part of a church that is addressing climate change and racial reconciliation and helping the poor while still upholding the Bible and foundational church doctrines. Overall, though, when she was responding to progressive Christianity, she was referring to the throwing out of beliefs and doctrines. This was clear to me, especially after reading "Faith After Doubt."

Here were some of my takeaways:
  • Doubt and unbelief are not the same thing. Unbelief is a decision of the will and runs contrary to the way God set up the universe. Doubt often bubbles up in the context of faith.
  • Faith is not a blind leap in the dark. Biblical faith is trust based on good evidence.
  • Churches should be safe places to engage in intellectual side of faith for doubters or they'll find sympathy from the progressive camp who thrive on reveling in doubt, like a badge of honor to bask in, rather than an obstacle to face and overcome
  • A study found that many youth group graduates left the faith because at some point, they had doubts but were dismissed
  • A little bit of knowledge will make you an atheist. A lot of knowledge will make you a Christian. If the doubter will keep reading, keep searching, keep digging, the truth will come out
  • Jesus didn't see Scripture as a human cultural product but as the inspired Word of God
  • "The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.” -GK Chesterton
  • We have no idea what life would be like outside His presence. Common grace -- all experience life in His presence.
  • The wrath of God is not a divine temper tantrum, not petty or spiteful, but the controlled and righteous judgment of anything that opposes the Lord's perfect nature and love. We should be thankful for the wrath of God -- it means that there will be justice for the victims of the Holocaust, that ISIS won't get away with its atrocities, that one day all evil and sin will be quarantined and those who have put their trust in Jesus will be kept separate.
  • I would have to rebel against a God who didn't get angry with the sins of the world. God is wrathful BECAUSE He is a God of love.
  • We don't get to completely redefine who God is and how he works in the world and call it Christian. We don't get to make the rules and do what is right in our own eyes and yet call ourselves followers of Jesus. The only option is to do it his way or not at all.
  • "Help my unbelief." Doubt TOWARD Jesus. Move towards Him. Ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...