Saturday, January 1, 2022

5 Best Series We Loved in 2021

    As a parent and as a teacher, I try to get kids "hooked" on a series.  Some people may consider these "twabble" or "fluff", but I say that whatever gets kids reading is worthwhile.  I love when I get to the end of the book, and Calvin immediately requests the next one in the series.  Here were some of our favorites from 2021:

Whatever After - I mentioned this on another post about audiobooks. Although we started listening to this series in 2020, we listened to 13 of the 16 in the series over the course of 2021.   

Ninja Kid - Calvin and I love this series.  There are 4 books available in the U.S., and Calvin likes reading them himself AND listening to me read them aloud.  Cooper also enjoys them.

Bad Guys - I'm not sure why we hadn't discovered the Bad Guys series until this year, but waiting so long allowed us to binge-read them from the library.  Carter and Calvin both read them independently, and then I would often read them to Calvin and/or Cooper.  I will say that I don't care for the latest ones in the series as much (I think they're up to about 14) and have gotten a little dark and complicated.  The initial ones in the series are great, though!

Ricky Ricotta - Carter had read through these several years ago, but Calvin discovered them this year.  The audiobooks are short and fun with lots of sound effects.  The early graphic novels are fun for a second grader to read.

The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls - we found this series from a book list, and I've been reading them aloud to Calvin.  They're kind of like a Christianized Magic Treehouse or a book form of the show Superbook.  


Honorable Mention:

InvestiGators - Calvin and I have enjoyed reading the first 3 books of this series.

Planet Omar - I've read the first two with Calvin. It's neat to get a Muslim kid's perspective in a fiction story.

My Father's Dragon - I wasn't too crazy about this series after the first one, but the trilogy as a whole is fun for young readers.

Show Me History - I love learning history through graphic novels! I read all four that our library has -- Martin Luther King Junior, Amelia Earhart, Alexander Hamilton, and Abraham Lincoln.

Haggis and Tank - these are fun and quick with plenty of puns!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...