Friday, January 14, 2022

Poetry Prompts


I've carted this little spiral around for too many years to count -- from one move to another, from one classroom to another, just waiting for the day when I would put it to use.  I assumed I'd be using it for its intended purpose -- in the classroom.  A couple weeks ago, though, as I was sorting through the never-ending piles in my laundry room, I stumbled upon it.  I really should just get rid of this. I'm never going to use it. All it is is clutter.  But then I decided to give it one more chance.  To use the prompts for poems of my own this year.  It will get me out of my non-writing funk and out of my always-writing-the-same-thing funk. 

Prompt- You have been invited to a party for poets only. The invitation requests that you respond in the form of a poem. Write a short poem accepting the invitation.

(poem written on 1-2-22)

An invitation for poets, you say?
    For dreamers and wishers
        and hopers and thinkers?
    For word-weavers
        and insight-illuminators
        and bridge-builders
        and thought-tinkerers
    For those who precipitate poems
        when their heads get too heavy
        and their minds get too muddled
        and the only remedy
            is pen to paper
                to soak and nourish the ground
                    and the roots below
    When it has been too long,
        the roots cry out for reflection
        the stems plead for sustenance
    And this cycle
        of thinking and mulling and writing it out
        of evaporating and condensing and precipitating
            is woven into my very fibers
    That's who you're talking about?
Then that's me.
I accept your invitation.
Please reserve a seat.
I'm coming.
Indeed, I'm on my way.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...