Thursday, September 22, 2022

Nature Poems from my Solitude Retreat

I recently spent 6 glorious days at a solitude retreat at Cedars of Peace in Nerinx, Kentucky.  This was my 10th retreat in one of the cabins there. Each time, it's a different experience, but all of them, spanning across all four seasons, have included time in nature -- observing, noticing, slowing, wondering, reflecting, connecting... Here are some of my nature-themed poems from my August retreat:


Dewy Spiderweb (8-23-22)

Dew
Ew!
Now I have wet shoes!
Spiderwebs
Blech!
Better knock it down quick!

Yet this morning
I'm seeing the wonder of dew when
Once invisible web designs
are now thinly illumined.

Twenty micro droplets
on an inch of webbing
Thirty ever-widening arcs
in each tiny section
Twenty-one sections
give-or-take a few
all now marvelously highlighted
by the simplicity of dew

Four mini flying bugs
caught while traveling by her
I guess the spider's goal
was for more than me to admire

Swaying with the swing
Strong yet delicate
Even without a photo remembrance
I hope I won't soon forget.


The Trail Behind Me (8-23-22)

I can see her overnight trail
    from this post
    to that plant
    and around a bit
    before making the leap to a sister plant
    and after the frame was in place
    back and forth
    criss-cross again and again
    occasionally adding an anchor for strength
And my day-to-day life
    feels a bit like that spider's 
    A lot of back and forth
    down a little, over a little,
    and back again
    and the same repetitive tasks
    and going through the motions
But what I don't realize
    is that there's a trail behind me
    and that all this back-and-forth
    that seems mundane and repetitive
    is weaving a masterpiece
If I neglect the back and forth,
    the world will miss out
    on the design
    I was designed to contribute.


The Web Doing Its Work (8-23-22)
It's work to weave a spider web
    Busy, busy back and forth
                        over and under
                        in and out
    but now I don't see the spider anywhere
While she rests from her labors,
    her web is working for her
    and it will be worth it
        when she wakes up to a breakfast
            already caught for her

It's work to plant an orchard
    tilling the soil
    planting the seeds
    tending the saplings
    protecting, scaffolding
    watering, watering, watering
Eventually, rest does come
    and the trees continue to grow
        even while the farmer sleeps
    but, unlike the spider's overnight harvest,
        it will take years
            for the farmer to ever taste
                the fruits from his labor
            but when the apples are gathered by the bushel,
                it will be worth it.

It's work to raise a family
    setting routines into place
    responding with grace yet again
    washing the dishes, knowing they will soon by dirty again
    correcting and training in righteousness
    fostering a mutual love among siblings
    allowing more and more responsibilities and independence over time
    teaching them all they need to know to launch successfully
And sometimes the growth is visible
    and sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort
        but I come to the point
            when I have to step back
                and pray that the web I've created
                    will do what it was meant to do
                    even if I don't see the results overnight
                and that, in all my failings    
                                        and inadequacies,
                    my orchard will bear fruit
                and that, years from now,
                    I will know that all the mundane
                                                        ordinary
                                                        grueling work
                                                I put my hands to today
                                                    was worth it.


Tree Education (8-23-22)

Pre-Covid (and pre-1000 hours outside challenge and pre-Seek app)
    the only tree I could identify by sight
         was a maple
        (because we had two in the front yard of my childhood home)
I'm still quite a novice
    at identifying trees
        but I'm on the path of learning
And in the process
    I've come to love two trees in particular:
        the tulip poplar
        and the sycamore

I became enraptured with the tulip poplar
    when I kept noticing the telltale green, yellow, and orange blossoms
        on the path during a spring hike
        (not realizing at first that they came from above, not below)
    I saw more at Bernheim Forest
        (where another curious hiker found and shared the name with me)
    and there's even one just down the street from me.

And I remember my father-in-law
    supplying the name "sycamore"
        for the stately central tree in our backyard forest
I love the patchwork white, cream, and gray bark
    especially as I sit on the sycamore swing at Cedars of Peace

And now I share my new-found tree love with my boys:
    See that green, yellow, and orange blossom up there?
        That's a tulip poplar!
    See that patchy cream bark?
        That's a sycamore!
And we've felt the poke of holly leaves
    and found geocaches nestled in cedars
    and thrown maple propellers high in the air
    and hunted for acorn caps beneath oaks

My education
    is becoming their education
I don't want them to grow up to be adults
    who know only one tree.

Color Combination (8-26-22)
"I love the combination
    of a bright-blue sky
        over a canopy of lush green.
For me, this color combination
    is Nature at its most idyllic
    and the most relaxing color combination I can imagine."

After reading this,
    I looked up to take in
        that blue-green combination
            in front of me
        but since the sycamore leaves blocked the sky,
    I looked first at the reflection in the lake
And it was there, in the lake mirror,
    that I saw a rainbow!
What?!
There's hasn't been a lick of rain in the sky
    or else I would know to look
Rainbows can be the result of rain + sun
    but they can also be the result of a loving Creator
        longing to showcase His love for me, 
            here on Mary's Lake

The shade
The setting sun
The breeze
The rainbow reflection
    (dare I say, an even better color combination than blue-green)

All gifts
    from You to me
I love You, too :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...