My first retreat at Cedars was in 2007, and I've gone eight times since then. Each cabin has a different name and personality. I've most often stay in "Joy" and "Wonder" but my longest retreat was 5 nights in "Grace." The price has understandably increased over the years. When I first started going, it was only $25/night. Now I think it's up to $60. Because of this, I haven't been since 2022 and have more recently been doing my solitude retreats at the Abbey of Gethsemani. I've been to Cedars in all seasons, but still, whenever it's fall, I feel deep in my soul..."Cedars is calling..."
Really, there's nothing magical about the place. But it is special to me because of how I've met with Jesus so deeply here in so many varied seasons of my life. He has directed me, challenge me, loved me, restored me...
This is "Joy", the only two-story cabin. It's also the only one available for two people to share. Lucas and I spent our anniversary here while I was pregnant with Calvin
Simple furnishings and a big picture window
Ah...Grace
You bring your own food, so the first thing I do is unpack and make myself at home
A desk and bookshelf (I always bring a variety of journals, notebooks, and books. Occasionally, the only book I bring is the Bible)
A labyrinth to walk/pray
This is the view of the sitting area from the kitchen of Joy
Here's the bed of Grace
I love spending time on this sycamore swing next to Mary Lake :-)
Each cabin has a set of journals from past retreatants. I always take time to read the reflections from fellow sojourners and then I add my own thoughts. Since I've ended up in the same cabin multiple times, it's always interesting to read what a past version of myself had written












No comments:
Post a Comment