Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Enough, Next Times, As The World Turns



9-28-26 - Enough
I've felt this feeling before
    The I-still-have-a-hundred-things-I-could-do-
    but-I've-reached-the-point-of-"enough" feeling
As I waited for each of my 5 sons to be born,
    I kept nesting, kept checking things off,
    but "If the baby comes today, it's okay.
                                                I've done enough."
As I prepped my classroom each year for First Day of School,
    my to-do list (or could-do list) was still long,
    but I reached the point of "Ready or not, here they come!
                                                I guess I've done enough."
As we're down to 2 sleeps (!) before leaving,
    I'm realizing that my could-do list
                                is longer than my will-have-time-to-do list
    I won't have time to
        mow that stretch of grass beside the driveway
        get everything perfectly organized in our home
        finish those photo book Christmas presents (I can work on them in Japan)
        finish Level 3 of my Japanese language audio course
        research all the hidden gems and tourist tips (never-ending!)
            but I've just about reached "enough"
I still have time to do
    all that needs to be done
        and that's enough

9-29-26 - Next Times
 
As I ate my quesadilla tonight
    in a scrounge-around,
        eat-whatever-clears-the-fridge dinner
    I had the thought...
        The next quesadilla I eat 
            will be on board the cruise ship at El Loco Fresh

And I got to thinking of other "Next times"
The next time I worship with
    my First Alliance church family (in person)
        will be after Christmas!
The next time I fold clothes at home,
    it won't be shorts weather anymore!
The next time I wander around a grocery store,
    everything will be in Japanese!
The next time I sleep in my bed
    will be 87 days from now
The next time I fill up on gas
    will be in December 
        (I wonder what the gas prices will be then?)
The next time we pass food around the table in Lexington,
    we will have been to Japan and back
        with stories to tell

Makes me think of another meal...    
The next time You eat a Passover meal (Luke 22:15-16)
    will be with me and all Your followers
        when the Kingdom of God has come!

9-30-26 - As the World Turns
There have been times
    when my world has stopped
        but everyone else's 
            keeps going
Milling around the grocery store
    with a hundred strangers
        who have no idea
            that we just lost a baby
            or that my dad just died
    My mind is numb...
    Everything has changed...
        while everyone else
            goes about their normal day

This week, milling around the grocery store
    with people buying bread to pack for their work lunch tomorrow,
    and I'm buying snacks in preparation
        for an international trip
    It's not every day you can say,
        "I'm going to Japan this week!"
            (or at least setting sail for Japan)
    Unlike in my days of grief,
        there's a spring in my step
        and a song in my heart
            (that yes, I sang aloud in Wal-Mart)

We never know what joys and sorrows
    that random strangers are currently facing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough, Next Times, As The World Turns

9-28-26 - Enough I've felt this feeling before     The I-still-have-a-hundred-things-I- could -do-     but-I've-reached-the-point-of...