Sunday, February 14, 2021

What is God teaching me? New (old) insights from Romans 1:16

What is God teaching you through the verse(s) you are memorizing?

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes…” (Romans 1:16)


I have heard sermons on this verse, read it over and over, listened to it, memorized it, sung along with it, meditated on it, studied it… and last night, it hit me in a new way -- specifically, the words POWER and BELIEVES.


It is His POWER that saves us. Our part is BELIEVING.  


It’s not up to my good works or strong faith or “correct” sinner’s prayer.

His power alone can save.

His power that made the world from nothing.

His power that whirls molecules and galaxies into existence.

His power that took on flesh to show us what He is like.

His power that raised Jesus from the dead.

His power that is at work in me and in the world today.


I do have a part in it, though. I have to believe what I can’t see. I have to believe “that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him (Hebrews 11:6).” I have to believe that He is who He says He is. I have to believe that His sacrifice on the cross paid the punishment for my sin.


The simplicity of this was freeing to me last night as I was driving home after a get-out-of-the-house trip to the park. I believe. Therefore, by His power, I am saved. That’s the Gospel. And THAT is worth celebrating and sharing and proclaiming.


I LOVE that the Word is living and active. Even if we’ve read the same verse a gazillion times, the Holy Spirit can bring fresh insights when we least expect it. And, it’s also personalized. This revelation to me last night met me right where I am, but it may not mean much to you -- “Of course it’s His power that saves everyone who believes. Nothing new there.”  But it was just what I needed.


How is the Holy Spirit giving you new insights or needed reminders as you memorize?


(our icy park excursion)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...