Saturday, March 13, 2021

The verses in Jeremiah 29 that no one memorizes

Hi Mary, what's your address? I have a coffee cup with a Scripture verse on it to send you. 

I replied to my Uncle Paul with my address and "Sounds great! If I haven't already memorized the verse, I will!"

Two days later, this arrived in the mail...

Not quite what I was expecting, Uncle Paul! And no, I don't already have that verse memorized!  I love that he hadn't told me in advance what I would be opening.

Here was part of the letter he sent explaining the cup:
My Sunday school teacher...posts his weekly lessons online, and last Sunday he mentioned in passing that he objected to people quoting Jeremiah 29:11 out of context and putting it on inspirational posters. In the comment section I wrote:

Thank you for your point about people indiscriminately quoting Jeremiah 29:11 ("I know the plans I have for you..."). It's a pet peeve of mine that people cherry-pick the nice verses and apply them to themselves and their audience while ignoring the verses of judgment of wrath and warning. The book of Jeremiah is a great example because it is so chock-full of judgment from beginning to end, and somehow we've managed to find and apply to ourselves one of the few comforting verses in it. I've never seen the words just 7 verses down on a poster or coffee mug: Jeremiah 29:18: "I will pursue them with the sword, famine, and plague and will make them abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth..."

And he responded,
Now I want a coffee cup that has  "I will pursue them with the sword, famine, and plague and will make them abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth..." on it.

So as a gag I decided to order a custom-made cup with that verse on it, and found that the minimum order was a dozen,...and then had to figure out what to do with the rest of the cups.

-----

So now I am the proud recipient of two of these mugs, and I have also now memorized a verse that few others have memorized. When looking at the context, I ended up expanding the song to include the rest of verse 18 as well as 19 and 20.  It's not as comforting as Jeremiah 29:11, but I think it's still worth memorizing. I want to be someone who listens to the word of the Lord and acts accordingly. God, forgive me for ignoring Your repeated whispers to me through Your Word and in my thoughts. May I hear Your word, and may it change me.

(And here's the link to the song if the embedded video doesn't work)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...