Saturday, January 1, 2022

2021 Reading Reflections and Top Two Books of the Year

    2021 is in the books! And it was a year of books! Here's what Goodreads calls "My Year in Books".  I love looking through the covers of all the books I've read this year.  They've become a part of me.  The characters have become my friends.  The insights have re-oriented the way I view and live life.  


    I started tracking my reading seriously on the Goodreads website in 2017 when I landed my teaching job as a 4th grade teacher.  I knew that if I wanted my students to be voracious readers, I had to be a voracious reader.  I set my goal that year at 100 and read 109.  For 2021, I set my goal at 150 and read 261.  And yes, I count any chapter book (or poetry collection) but not picture books.  I want to track even the simple early chapters books so that when my two youngest are in that stage, I'll know which ones are tried-and-true!  Now that we're homeschooling, I have more time to read (since it's part of what we do all day!).

I've taken the time (mostly for my own records and reflection) to compile lists of my favorite books of the year:


But which were my VERY favorites?
Well, I'm going to start with "the Sunday School answer" (you know, when every kid says "Jesus" or "God" in Sunday School because that's always the right answer?).  My very favorite book was/is the Bible.  I try to read it every year, and it wins top spot in my heart and in my mind every year.  

I typically don't like to reread books, but this is the book that I will read over and over until the day I die.

On the occasion that I do reread a book, there are often new insights and perspectives.  With the Bible, though, this is exponentially true because it's not just any book.  I believe that it is the inspired Word of God and that it is living and active.  

I read it because it teaches me about God and His story.
I read it because it shows me how to live.
I read it because I'm supposed to.
I read it because I love to.

I didn't always love reading the Bible.  It used to be a check-off chore.  And there are still times that I go to it out of duty than out of devotion.  

2015 is when everything changed.

I had been memorizing and meditating on Scripture for the first six months that year without actually reading the Bible much (except to find my next verse to memorize!).  And then, as if I had been stacking stick upon twig upon log upon log that whole time, the Holy Spirit ignited in me a passion and hunger for His Word like never before.  And it has become food to me.  Manna that I need every day, or I starve.

Just about every year since then, I've read through the whole Bible.  I usually pick a different study Bible or translation.  For 2021, I listened to the audio of the Bible in the CSB translation.  Since "faith comes by hearing," I wanted to experience what it would be like to hear the whole Bible in entirety.

So, the Bible is my #1 favorite book of the year.  It's the book I will continue rereading. It's the book I read every single day.  It's the book I recommend to everyone.  It's the book I teach to my boys and the book I strive to live by.  

But after the Bible, which was my favorite?  That would have to be All Thirteen by Christina Soontornvat. Here's why:
3:30 p.m. - pick up book from library. A little disappointed with the format -- the book is so large (width, height) that it almost looks like a textbook
before bed that night - open it up and read a few chapters. Pulls me in right away.
6:30 a.m. the next day - start reading again after my morning Jesus time while everyone's still asleep. Should be getting read to go to family Christmas celebration
1:00 p.m. - after meal and presents, I park myself on the couch in the middle of family time and keep reading, even if I'm interrupted every other sentence. I even carry the book with me while I walk across the room to pick up some oreo balls. I even tear up on more than one occasion (even though the title is kind of a spoiler).
7:30 p.m. - neglect family back at home, hurry through bedtimes so that I can return to finish the book (I eventually locked the door to stop from being interrupted).

In other words, I devoured this book. Best book I've read in a long time. I didn't realize it was classified as middle grade (probably a little too technical and detail-y for my 5th grade son, but I'll have him read it eventually), but I loved all the charts and details and science and profiles of some of the thousands of volunteers and here-are-the-million-reasons-why-this-was-an-almost-impossible-rescue. Having been to northern Thailand added to the allure for me. Wow. I'm planning on watching the documentary and the Netflix movie.

I also was intrigued with the boy named Adul, who was the only Christian (the rest were Buddhists) and the only one who spoke English. I’ve read some articles about him and am looking forward someday to meeting this brother in the Lord.


And now that 2021 is officially over, I have my sights set on 2022: 200 books including these 60


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...