Thursday, January 26, 2023

10 Favorite Biographies Read in 2022

    I've enjoyed biographies/autobiographies/memoirs for many years, but 2022 was the year that I read and loved so many of them that I have declared it to be my favorite genre!  About half of these I read in print form, and about half were audiobooks narrated by the author (which I absolutely love!).  Most, but not all, have Christian themes.  The little blurbs are the short reviews I posted on GoodReads.

(and here's a link to my others favorite books from 2022)

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
    This book is unbelievable! Like, it's really hard to believe someone can endure such hardship and trauma. I listened to the audio version (partially because it's hard for me to sit down and read a book of this length), and I was drawn in from the beginning. I loved learning about Louie as a mischievous kid and then an Olympic runner. And then when things go badly during his time in the war, you just keep wondering if things can get any worse...and then they do. I appreciated how the book was thorough in talking about what life was like after the war for many Pacific POWs (and not just ending with him coming home, like the movie did). I also am glad that, while not overtly a Christian book, much detail was given to Louis' conversion experience and how his life changed as a result. I watched the movie with my husband after finishing the book, and I kept inserting all sorts of interesting (to me!) details that the movie left out. I'm planning on watching the sequel that depicts his life of faith after the war.

I Can Only Imagine: A Memoir by Bart Millard
    Loved this inside look into Bart’s story and heart. It was hard to put down! I appreciated his honesty in the last chapter and that he didn’t end the book when Imagine was at #1.

God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew
    I've had this book on my shelf for years and years, and I so glad I finally made it a priority to read and finish it. I had recently read several WWII books and one about the polders of Holland, so this one picked up perfectly from those. Such a fantastic book! I was so inspired by Brother Andrew's faith and dependence on Jesus. (kind of reminded me of George Mueller's prayers). I had heard several individual accounts of him praying to make "seeing eyes blind," but I loved reading about those encounters in detail. Time after time, God came through for him and his team. It was interesting learning about other cultures during that time period, too. I plan on reading this again with my boys when they get a little older.

Oh, and how cool that Brother Andrew is still alive and in his 90s! (he has since passed away on 9-27-22)

A Burning in my Bones: The Authorized Biography of Eugene Peterson by Winn Collier
    I absolutely loved this book. I'm a sucker for biographies, and this one was both well-written and featuring an exceptional person. I read it while on vacation with my family on the Huron shore in Mackinaw City, and the blue water was the perfect backdrop for my deep dive into the life of Eugene Peterson. I only knew him via The Message, which I've read cover to cover. This was a wonderful peek into the life of a wonderful (and of course, flawed) man.

Educated by Tara Westover
    I put this on my priority to-read list for 2022, partly because it's about an unconventional education (which is interesting to me, both as an educator and a homeschooling mom), partly because I enjoy memoirs, and partly because of the rave reviews. I kept putting it off and had a hard time getting into the first couple chapters, but after that, I read it pretty much every chance I got over the course of a couple days. Wow! So intriguing, but also so heart-breaking. The author turned out well as an adult but had significant trauma to work through. Her upbringing just seems so absolutely foreign to me. Anyway, it was encouraging to me that I don't have to do and teach "all the things."

Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
    So, so, so good! I knew it would be good based on all the recommendations, and it didn't disappoint! So eye-opening and so infuriating. I'm thankful for people like Bryan Stevenson who work tirelessly to right the wrongs of our justice system. I listened to the audio version, which was excellent. Looking forward to watching the movie next!

My Jesus: From Heartache to Hope by Anne Wilson
    WOW! I did not expect to be so captivated by this book. I literally could not put it down (and even read while standing up bouncing a crying baby) and finished in less than a day. I didn’t think I would related since I haven’t experienced grief like hers, but I was drawn in to her story. I loved reading how Jesus sweetly and unexpectedly led her into a music career (that I now hear and love on the radio). I live in the same city where she grew up, so it was also neat seeing all the Kentucky references. HIGHLY recommend!

 

Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal/Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
    This book was absolutely a delight to read. I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but I do love AKR's picture books (Little Pea! Dear Girl, I Wish You More, Spoon/Chopsticks/Straw). The book is thick but with a lot of white space, so I finished it in an afternoon. An inside glimpse into the quirky, wordsmith-ery world of an author gone too soon. It was crazy reading all her reflections on the passage of time (ACRES, CARES, RACES), with the knowledge that she died soon after. Made me want to go snuggle with my kids. Some things seem so frequent that they're infinite and countless -- like how many times you see a tree or slice an apple. But for each of us, there is a certain number of times left that we will do those ordinary things.

    I loved all the interactive elements with the texting and such (Fed-Ex a pie to the 100th person? Ha!). The layout of the book was so unique and compelling. I just couldn't stop reading. Many of the chapters could've been entitled "Deep Thoughts with Amy Krouse Rosenthal." I laughed out loud when I could relate to her quirky thoughts -- like having trouble with ceiling fan strings. "Pull it once to stop? Twice? In trying to turn it off, I will just speed it up -- great, now it is spinning around so fast that it's wobbling almost violently." YES. Happens to me all the time! And in her funny, quirky way of expressing it, she reminded me that I'm not alone.
--
I recently read Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal and loved it so much that I wanted to read this one, too.

I have not survived against all odds.
I have not lived to tell.
I have not witness the extraordinary.
This is my story.

I chuckled every time I saw that on the front cover. And there were different times that I laughed out loud because I could so relate -- like on "Taking up something new". Waking up early on school days before kids to shower and prepare breakfast. What Age(s) - one day in mid-30s. Total number of years - N/A.

I loved how whimsical and quirky and reflective it was. It made me really think on the finiteness of life, not only because she referenced it multiple times or because I'm nearing the big 4-0 but because she ended up dying young, so it's weird now to read about her imagining herself growing old.

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity by Nabeel Qureshi
I devoured this book. I listened to it (which I highly recommend, since it was read by the author) in spare moments here and there being interrupted by my four sons, but I just could not get enough. This helped me learn more about the Muslim faith from an insider. It strengthened my own faith as a Christian. The hardest part for me is knowing that Nabeel died at a young age from cancer. Why, Lord? He had so much potential! He was such a bright light! Yet Nabeel continued to trust in God even when he didn't understand, and so will I. I'm so thankful that he took the time to write (and record) this book.

The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus by Joni Eareckson Tada
    I feel like Joni is a new friend of mine. I HIGHLY recommend listening to the audio version, which she narrates (oh, and she sings, too! Man of Sorrows and Let the Lower Lights Be Burning have new meaning for me!). So many stories from her childhood and pre and post the diving accident that left her paralyzed. "A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus" is an appropriate subtitle. I've gotten a sneak peek into the highs and lows of her life. Just because she has kind of become a posted child for people with disabilities doesn't mean that life is easy or that faith always comes easily for her. So eye-opening, so convicting, so thought-provoking... I am a better person for having "read" and pondered this book.

Some of my favorite quotes:
God permitted something he hated in order to make way for something he loved -- my growing need of him.

God didn't take his hand off the wheel for a nanosecond.

At the ADA signing, someone commented about how the act will require ramps and access but will not change the hearts of the bus drivers, waiters, employers, etc. True change happens only in the heart.

He requires me to make choices -- He doesn't just make me holy

God is near to those who acknowledge their spiritual poverty. He seems bigger to those who need Him most.

I require You desperately. Can I borrow Your smile today?

It is so strange how we expect the parade of life to go on forever and when it finally runs out of steam, we feel cheated like someone should have told us it was this short, this hard, this final.

Your "no" to a physical healing was a "yes" to a deeper healing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...