Sunday, January 29, 2023

8 Favorite Adult Books Read in 2022

    I didn't read much as an adult until I landed a 4th grade teaching position in my 30s.  In order to be able to recommend books to my students, I read books on their level (the technical term is "middle grade" for ages 8-12).  Most of the fiction I read is still middle grade, but I did read a few adult fiction novels in 2022.  In this list, I've included my two favorite adult fiction books and my six favorite adult nonfiction books.  I have a separate list for my favorite genre (here are my ten favorite adult biographies/autobiographies/memoirs read in 2022). Note: my little "blurbs" written below were the short reviews I posted on GoodReads.

Adult Fiction

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
    I found this in a Little Free Library awhile back after hearing some rave reviews from friends on Facebook. I tried it a couple time and made it about 50 pages before abandoning it. For 2022, I put together a priority "to read" list (because my actual to-read list is in the hundreds!) and thought March would be a good month to tackle this one since we're studying WWII in our homeschool now. I had to re-read the first 50 pages again because I had totally forgotten what had happened so far. I occasionally used the audiobook (like, if I had a big pile of dishes), but it was quicker for me to read myself. And man-oh-man, I read it almost nonstop one Saturday and then read the last 200 pages or so from 9pm that night until 2 in the morning. I usually get tired way before then. That shows how gripping this novel was to me. I much more often read middle grade fiction and much shorter novels, so I was proud of my perseverance.

    Yes, it's a combination of all the worst scenarios and resistance triumphs rolled into one, but I was really into it and learned more about that period in history in occupied France. There were a couple plot twists I totally didn't see coming, which made it all the more compelling. I do wish there was an author's note at the end explaining some of her research and any real-life examples of her characters' exploits. Alas.

The Marquis' Secret by George Macdonald
    The Fisherman's Lady definitely ended on a cliffhanger, and I dove right into the sequel! I wasn't too crazy about the first one, but seeing the completion of the story was satisfying. I loved watching Clementina change and seeing how all the complexities resolved themselves. And I underlined several theology-rich statements and conversations.

Adult Nonfiction

The Bible in 90 Days
    I did it! I finished the Bible in 90 days! I had read through it before but never that quickly. A friend mentioned it last year, and I decided to give it a go from mid-January and finishing on Good Friday. I hosted a weekly zoom meeting to discuss with a few friends what God had been showing us as we read.

    It was a big time commitment— almost an hour a day. 12 pages a day and lotsa chapters (and even multiple books in a day in the NT). By reading at this pace, I was able to make connections and see patterns that I might not have noticed otherwise. Any time spent in the Word is a valuable investment. For the rest of the year, I plan on studying some sections/books more in depth and also focusing more time in prayer and Scripture memory. I think I’ll definitely do this again but maybe not every year.

The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life by Julie Bogart
    I gave this book a 5 not because I agreed with everything but because of how it made me re-think our homeschooling routine, environment, and lessons. When I was a classroom teacher, adding whimsy was right up my alley -- I was all about engagement and making things FUN and out-of-the-ordinary. And I realized that I've been kind of boring as a homeschooling mom. While it's overwhelming to think about adding magic every day, I definitely feel inspired to spice some things up. I may even go for the always-available art table! (we'll see how long I can handle it!).

    Most of the homeschool books I've read come from a Christian perspective, which aligns with my worldview. This one sometimes mentioned religious settings but wasn't "Christian" in tone or child-rearing. Not that that's a bad thing, but there were some aspects of what she said that rubbed me the wrong way. Overall, though, I benefitted greatly from the ideas from this book.

How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind by Dana K. White
    This book was written for me! I love that it's from the perspective of a "slob coming clean" and not someone who is neat and tidy by nature. The principles were simple enough but many were totally perspective-shifting for me. I realized that I have "slob vision" and don't notice incremental clutter. My home already feels more manageable with just doing (and putting away!) the dishes every day. It has already given me some momentum. I loved hearing the author narrate the audiobook because her humor really shone through.

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate by Peter Wohlleben
    I discovered this while on a solitude retreat in a cabin in the woods. I had been curious to learn more about how trees interact above and below ground, and this book provided that and so much more. I devoured it in 5 days (and I already put a hold on it from the library because I ran out of time to take notes about what I learned). So many insights. So many new ways of seeing and appreciating trees. And ultimately, it gave me more appreciation for the Designer who thought up all the intricacies of trees and forests. This was not, by any means, the author's intent (he made zero references to an actual Creator), but as a Christian, this was the lens I read this book with. I'm excited to read more by this author, starting with the children's book version of this one!

Loving Him Well: Practical Advice on Influencing Your Husband by Gary Thomas
    This book was a reminder that I need to be reading more of "Uncle Gary" (we share a last name but are in no ways related). I've never not liked a single one of his books--each is always packed with Scripture and spurring me on in my relationships with others and with God. I listened to the audio, which was great with the author as the narrator. Some of the chapters didn't necessarily apply to me, but on the whole, I found the book to be just what I needed in this season of life!

Mother and Son: The Respect Effect by Emerson Eggerichs
    As a mama of four (soon-to-be five!) boys, this was definitely good for me to read. I'm a little surprised at some of the negative ratings, but I also realize that there's a definite audience for this book - the author says that people can feel free to read the book if they aren't Christian, but the Christian lens is very strong (which, for me, was great!). I haven't read Love and Respect but am familiar with the premise of the book. As for those who said that this book could have been shorter, I thought the extensive examples of respect talk were very helpful. My husband has mentioned to me multiple times that I'm disrespectful in the way I interact with him, and I honestly have had a hard time seeing it and understanding how to talk/interact differently. I enjoyed hearing from the author as the narrator, but I also plan on purchasing this book to be able to refer to when I need some practical handles on respect talk with my boys. And I'm definitely planning on reading Love and Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...