Tuesday, January 31, 2023

10 Favorite Middle Grade/YA Books read in 2022

    It's no secret that I'd rather read middle grade literature over adult literature any day.  I don't know if it's because middle grade books are "clean" and often shorter, because I want to be able to recommend books to my students/sons, or because I'm a kid at heart!  Here are my 10 favorite, from a mix of genres, and in no particular order (along with my short posts on GoodReads):

Thirst by Varsha Bajaj - realistic fiction
    I read this because I saw it pop up as one of the selections for the 2022 Global Read Aloud. It's similar to some past winners (The Bridge Home and Amal Unbound) and also reminds me of Long Walk to Water, but I really enjoyed it. The chapters are very short, so it's hard to put down. I find myself wondering at the disparity of my luxurious life in comparison to those in third world situations without access to clean water. This book did a good job of expressing, in various ways, how water affects so many aspects of life for a girl like Minni. Overall, I loved it and hope to read more by this author.

(Oh, and I'm glad I didn't read the "blurb" at the top of the Goodreads page and I guess on the book jacket, because it gives some spoilers that I'm glad I didn't know about).

When the World Was Ours by Liz Kessler - historical fiction
    Wowee. At the time of my review, there were 1,331 ratings and 302 reviews with an average of 4.55 -- that's pretty high acclaim! And the book definitely delivered. Best middle grade book I've read so far this year and perhaps the best WWII book I've ever read (and I've read a bunch).

    I like these types of stories that intertwine three perspectives (kind of reminds me of Alan Gratz' Refugee). I was immediately drawn in and was invested in all three main characters. I loved how short the chapters were and the plot twists throughout (did not see the ending coming!) and the movement over the years. I had read the author's note at the beginning about one of the stories being loosely inspired by his father's story. (I'm glad I read the author's note, but it did have a bit of a spoiler).

Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin - historical fiction
Whoa! This one sucked me in from the beginning. It was a stay-up-late, read-every-chance-you-get kind of book for me, and the small size, short chapters, illustrations, and cliffhangers really kept it moving. I can't imagine living in those kind of conditions, but this book definitely painted a picture of a reality that I hadn't considered. I wonder what stories will come out years from now about these days we're living in...

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - classic, historical fiction
    I'm not sure why I never read (or watched!) any of this series until now. Anne is fond to so many of my friends that I figured it was high time I discovered what all the fuss is about! I read a graphic novel adaptation last year to give me an overview, but I'm so glad I took the time to read the whole unabridged version for myself.

    I love Anne! I love her quirkiness and her loquaciousness and her foot-in-the-mouth-ness and her appreciation of nature and her gratitude for the smallest things. I know already that I will want to continue reading this series to find out more of what happens in Avonlea.

I'm also glad that I bought a copy because there were certain parts I wanted to mark, such as:
"I've made up my mind to enjoy this drive. It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will."

"Looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them."

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"

"She said we couldn't be too careful what habits we formed and what ideals we acquired in our teens, because by the time we were twenty our characters would be developed and the foundation laid for our whole future life. And she said if the foundation was shaky we could never build anything really worthwhile on it."

"It was the last night before sorrow touched her life; and no life is ever quite the same again when once that cold, sanctifying touch has been laid upon it." ... "It's not her sorrow -- she's outside of it and she couldn't come close enough to my heart to help me."

"Dear old world, you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you."

"God's in his heaven, all's right with the world."

Swim Team by Johnnie Christmas - realistic fiction, graphic novel
    I loved this one! It’s everything I love about a good middle grade graphic novel—excellent storytelling, illustrations that help tell the story, character depth and growth, and even a bit of history sprinkled in. Loved it! Perfect summertime (or anytime) read!

Fighting Words by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - realistic fiction
    I read this on vacation in two days. It was compelling and hard to put down. I was a little surprised that, as a middle grade book, it covered sexual abuse, but kids are very much in the middle of these types of struggles and it would be relatable to many.

Efren Divided by Ernesto Cisneros - realistic fiction
Wow! This was excellent, on so many levels. I listened to the audio version, which I highly recommend (because I would not have known what to do with all the Spanish pronunciations!). Exploring friendship, family ties, immigration, border cities, deportation... I love when I feel like I'm learning while I'm reading fiction. This was an excellent peek into a life very different from my own.

The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler by John Hendrix - biography, graphic novel
    Wow. I loved this! I knew a bit about Bonhoeffer's life and had read "The Plot to Kill Hitler," but I love a good graphic novel to bring it all together. Since Bonhoeffer was unapologetically a man of faith (and action!), I'm glad that the Christian aspects of his life, choices, outlook, beliefs were highlighted, not glossed over. The narrative brought up a lot of troubling questions to wrestle with, such as "Would God forgive me for assassinating an evil man?" The illustrations and flow were very well done. I hope Hendrix continues to do more graphic novels like this!

    One of my favorite quotes was toward the end: "Dietrich Bonhoeffer had, though his life's writings and now his deeds, reframed the Christian life through a lens of action. He called for a radical obedience that was not cheap but costly. Faith wasn't just about creating a set of comforting thoughts about God; it was living out an ethic that called for sacrifice. You didn't just pray for the tanks to stop rolling, you threw yourself in front of them." p.157

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds - novel in verse
    Wow. Absolutely incredible. After having it from the library for almost a month, I finally picked it up last night and was hooked. Then I continued reading at breakfast and then on the exercise bike (and I NEVER usually read a book while on the exercise bike). So compelling. So masterfully written. I know immediately that I want to read it again and am looking forward to checking out the audio version and the graphic novel version. A reviewer mentioned how this book portrayed "cyclical violence." That's a good way to describe it. This reality for so many young men is a world away from what my 4 white homeschooled sons are experiencing in suburbia. A world away. I need to know what these other worlds are like. Wow. Thanks, Jason Reynolds, yet again for giving me insight into your world.

Octavia E. Butler's Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation adapted by Damian Duffy - science fiction/historical fiction, graphic novel
    Whoa. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Couldn’t put it down. Definitely more YA than middle grade. So glad I read it!

(here is a link to my reading reflections and favorites from 2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...