Saturday, September 12, 2026

Abbey of Gethsemani - August 2026

    I have gone on 18 solitude retreats since 2005, so about once a year. Even though I'm an extrovert, I crave this time away and alone with my Maker. I recently returned from my 3rd retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemani, about an hour and a half away from where I live. I cannot recommend this experience and this place highly enough!
    In a spirit of hospitality, the monastery provides:
  • a private furnished room with private bathroom/shower
  • three meals a day, eating with other retreatants in silence
  • an agenda-free, expectation-free experience
  • gardens and forested trails to sit or hike
  • opportunity to join the monks seven times a day as they sing the psalms and pray (but again, no requirement)
  • the best 360 degree panoramic view of the surrounding knobs and hills during sunrise and sunset
  • a library
  • one Monday-Friday or Friday-Monday retreat per year
They rely on donations to cover their operational expenses, but there's no suggested donation amount, so you can truly give whatever you feel led to give.

    Every retreat looks different for me, depending on my season of life, mood, and what I'm needing. My first retreat at Gethsemani was when I was in my first year of marriage and pregnant with our first son. I was in a dark place spiritually and emotionally and barely hanging on. Then my second was last summer, and I was back this year. 
    I kind of fell into a routine of sorts during my time this year. 
  • wake up with the monk's chimes for 5:40 Lauds
  • walk up the hill to my favorite spot at the base of a cross to awaken the dawn 
  • drink some hot lemon water or hot chocolate while writing more poems
  • work on my Japanese textbook
  • eat lunch looking out the window at the hummingbirds
  • take an afternoon hike on the grounds
  • eat dinner in silent community
  • join the monks for at least one of their gathered times
  • turn on a my phone briefly to check in and report that I'm still alive
  • walk back up the hill for the sunset
  • walk back to my room in the darkness 
  • read until I was tired and ready for bed
    I spent much time in reflection, Scripture, and prayer, and Jesus really did restore my soul. It was a bit jarring to return to daily noise and responsibilities. I prefer Monastery Mary over home Mary, but I am called to this life I'm in the middle of. I'm grateful for these pockets of time away, and I plan to keep returning as long as I'm physically able.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Solitude Reflections (August 2026)

8-25-26 "For all that has been...thanks To all that shall be...yes" Reflecting on my life     as a child, eager to follow You     ...