9-24-26 - On Mission
On past mission trips
to teach English in Thailand
to partner with a church in Salt Lake City
to aid in hurricane-ravaged Mississippi
my mission began
when I arrived
But here I am
a week before leaving for Japan,
and my mission has already begun in full force
It began last November
when our years-long dream of "someday"
turned into actually booking specific dates
That's when
my language-learning went into overdrive
my prayer for "a Japanese friend" prompted me
to volunteer at Friendship International
instead of waiting for one to come to me
I started gaining confidence to go up to Asian moms at parks and libraries
on the chance there may be a Japanese connection
I started spending regular time praying for the nation
And the sowing has already started...
36 Japanese moms have come to 11 park play dates I hosted over the spring and summer
16 came to at least one of three bilingual preschool music times
10 have come over for lunch
6 have come with their families for dinner
I've helped one family in particular
to experience the American culture
of hosting a lemonade stand
going tent-camping
sharing a Thanksgiving feast
participating in a church youth group
In other words,
I'm not waiting
until I arrive on Japanese soil
to learn
connect
share
shine
It has already begun!
And it will continue when I get back!
Better than an isolated "mission trip"
is living "on mission" every day!
9-24-26 - Japan is Calling
"Japan is calling!"
Lucas and I have been
saying that phrase to each other
for several years
whenever life here feels too hard
or we're frustrated by America's political climate
or when when we feel like we need a fresh start
or when adventure is preferable to mundane
or when our kids are driving us crazy
Japan is calling!
We say it as if Japan
will magically solve all our problems --
as if everything is better
in Japan
But as we drove home from youth group last night,
and our boys were LOUD
and bickering
and CRAZY,
it was a not-so-gentle jolt back to reality
Japan is not a cure-all
Our loud American kids will be loud in Japan, too
(and in fact it will be MORE stressful for me there
because LOUD is not a value of the Japanese!)
The same problems/issues/struggles I have here,
I'll be taking with me there
Sure, life is hard here in America
but at least I'm fluent in the language
and culture
and transportation
and cooking
and stores
and measuring systems
and currency
and expected behavior
Japan will be an adventure
but it will not be easy
I'm delusional is I think
it will solve all my problems
(because it will add to my problems!)
I'm wondering if two months
is long enough
for the honeymoon phrase
to wear off --
when the stress of a new culture
(with 5 kids in tow!)
doesn't feel worth it
Regardless of what may happen,
Japan is calling
Ready or not,
here we come!
No comments:
Post a Comment