If I speak in the tongue of Christianese
but do not love my neighbor
then it's all just babble
If I earn a master's degree
but do not stoop to look my child in the eye
then that certificate means nothing
If I own a home
but do not care for the homeless
then I am not a channel of the blessings God has given me
If I memorize verses and passages and books of the Bible,
but do not meditate on them or all myself to be transformed by them,
then it's just for show
If I lead a women's Bible study and serve with middle schoolers and preschoolers
but do not disciple my children
then I have missed my true calling
If I am always smiling around others
but forget to smile at my own children
then my children will remember me as a hypocrite
If I consider myself a joyful, fun-loving person
but neglect to "make our home a place of joy,"
then that joy is only skin-deep, not joy like a fountain
If I spend over an hour reading my Bible and praying
but don't actually connect with Jesus
then it's all just religious activity
If I read over 200 books in a year
but fail to tend to my home
then I have misplaced priorities
If I am proud of my husband
but never tell him or others
then he is left to wonder
If I invest in all my friendships near and far
but neglect my marriage
then I have failed in the one relationship that's singularly mine to invest in
If I have read through the Bible ten times
but don't obey what I read,
then I'm treating it as mere literature
If I say I'm a Christian
but do not look more like Jesus every year,
then I join all the cultural Christians who are Christians by name, not deed
If I say my faith is the most important thing to me
but don't share it with anyone else
then is it really the most important thing to me?
11-18-25
Doing the dishes
Another task
or an opportunity to serve my family and bring order
Decluttering
Another task
or a bridge to increased capacity and hospitality
Learning Japanese
Another hobby
or a means to communicate and connect on a deeper level
Listening to "The Power of Moments"
Another audiobook
or an eye-opening way to view pits and milestones
Walking laps around the neighborhood
Another time to check off the list
or an opportunity for exercise, clear thinking, prayer, meditation
Putting my boys to bed
Another obstacle before my own bedtime
or an opportunity to love, pray over, hem in
Sitting in my blue chair
Another round of "me time"
or sitting in the presence of my Father as He fills my tank for the day
Most anything in my day
can be consecrated
if I offer it up to You
if I include You in the process
if I draw my thoughts back to You
1-3-26
I've declared You the Lord of my life,
but are You the Lord of my days?
Have I made You Lord over the moments
that make up my life?
Do I even think to ask You
What do You want me to do right now?
What do You want our family to focus on?
How do You want me to spend this free hour?
What goal do You have for me?
Who do You want me to talk to in this atrium?
Who do You want me to text to encourage?
Who do You want me to pray for?
What do You want me to give this person?
What do You want me to say?
How do You want me to love my husband and my sons today?
What do You want to talk to me about on this walk?
Asking is just the first part
It's a step in the right direction
but it's obeying what You say
that proves my allegiance
1-12-26
Just show up
Not every time is productive or meaningful
but we still show up
Over time, that consistency builds community and traction
deeper than a one-time high
or a seismic, life-changing moment
We think that if our time with God is not
effective, meaningful, purposeful, productive, fruitful,
then it's been a waste
It may not live up to the hype,
but come back next time.
Keep at it!
Faithfulness is "a long obedience in the same direction"
Discipleship begins with showing up
Such was Dan's sermon
and I felt affirmed
because that's exactly what I have been doing
From early prayer journals in the 90s
to following You over decades and seasons and transitions
Oh, I've experienced the highs,
but I've also put in the work of showing up
faithfully adding to the well
that I can draw from later
Small, seemingly inconsequential habits of
reading the Bible deeply and widely
memorizing Scripture even when it feels like a chore
volunteering in the church and outside the church
having weekly date nights with Lucas
fostering an environment of faith in the home
opening our home for meals with others
learning Japanese as an eternal investment
building community with others in our church family
recording my gratitude to a good God
prioritizing time outside and travel
...are adding up with compound interest
into this beautiful life
I'm becoming who I want to be
and Dan's right--
Showing up is half the battle.
No comments:
Post a Comment