Sunday, September 13, 2026

Japanese language learning

6-19-26

It's never-ending --
    this language learning
Even when I finish Book 2,
    Book 3 is waiting
Even when I finish Mango's 30 hour audiobook,
    there's Pimsleur (Levels 1-5!) to pick up
Even when my DuoLingo score goes from 21 to 99,
    I'll still barely be intermediate
Get the hang of basic verb conjugation.
    then throw in the layer of informal speech
It can be discouraging 
    seeing how far there is to go.
But when I look back,
    I see how far I've come
And unlike doing dishes
    (which is also never-ending but shows no progress),
  at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere.


6-19-26

Some Japanese friends have asked
    how I'm learning the language
Well, it's a multi-layered approach
    that I've sketched out
    in 3 three-month phases pre-Japan
Japanese from Zero textbook and video series
    for grammar and a basic foundation
DuoLingo
    for vocabulary, sentence structure, basic kanji
Comprehensible input videos
    for listening skills and "real Japanese"
Read Japanese Kanji Today
    for an introduction into kanji
Tadoku books and online club
    for reading, enjoyment, and interaction
Japanese songs (kids songs and popular songs)
    for understanding and connection
Journaling and workbook exercises
    for increased output
Mango and Pimsleur audiobooks
    for listening and speaking
Shinobi app
    for reading comprehension
Prayer
    for consecrating a hobby
Weekly in-person interaction
    for connection and output and friendship




No comments:

Post a Comment

Japanese language learning

6-19-26 It's never-ending --     this language learning Even when I finish Book 2,     Book 3 is waiting Even when I finish Mango's ...