Saturday, September 12, 2026

Solitude Reflections (August 2026)

8-25-26

"For all that has been...thanks
To all that shall be...yes"
Reflecting on my life
    as a child, eager to follow You
    as a mother-to-be on my first retreat here, dwelling in darkness
    a year ago, when I last walked these grounds

    I'm grateful for Your companionship all these years
    My soul wells up with hallelujahs
    I cannot hide my love -- my heart will have to sing
    You have been faithful; You will be again

Looking ahead to the future...
    the immediate when I return of final preparations for Japan
    the pinch-myself family adventure to Japan
    Carter's final years of high school
        and the ticking clock for whole-family memories
    the foreboding joy knowing that life can't always be this good
        and the scary unknowns
But I say "Yes" to all that shall be
    because I know the One who holds tomorrow
        and I know who holds my hand

8-25-26
Walk slower
    No one's in a hurry
    There's no need to rush
    Take time to notice
        what God might be wanting to show you
Eat slower
    Set your fork down between bites
    Savor each bite
    Look out the window
    Let good food nourish your body
        while God nourishes your soul
Talk slower less none
    There's no need for words
    It's here in the silence where you meet the living God
    Pause long enough to hear
        what God might be wanting to say to you
For it's here
    in the slowness
    in the silence
                that He speaks
Or at least
    it's where we're aware
                of Him speaking
Speak, Lord, Your servant is listening


8-25-26
The Garden is multi-faceted
EDEN
It's a place of creation and communion
It's a place of purpose and passion
It's where I walk with You and talk with You,
    and You tell me that I'm Yours

GETHSEMANI
It's also a place of dread and surrender
    When it gets hard, am I going to follow You or not?
    Am I going to take up my cross or take the easy road?
It's a place of failure and shame
    I am the disciples
        who could not travail in prayer
            for even an hour
    My flesh takes over, and I give in to temptation so quickly

But I'm grateful that the Tree of Life
    is not in an earthly Gethsemane
        where we'd be stuck in an endless loop of failure and shame
    for there's another Garden
        at the end of time
            and when we eat from the Tree of Life,
                it will be in a place we want to live forever

Face to face
All our Gethsemane trials and pains
    recycled to bring You glory
And forever walking and talking with You
You'll walk us through this garden
    to the next

8-25-26
I marvel at Your creation
    the tiny traveling inchworm
    the chittering, skittering chipmunks
    the resourceful, watchful squirrels
    the flitting, fighting hummingbirds
    the stately, stout sycamore trees
    the creative, cunning wolf spider
    the melodic, musing birds
I marvel at the way You set up the world
    ever growing and evolving
    ever learning and understanding
    able to love and be loved
    able to make and appreciate music
    depending on You
    depending on each other
    colors and beauty for our appreciation
    all kinds of food, not only to nourish us, but for our enjoyment
    Oh, the order and variety and creativity of this world You made!
And I even marvel at man-made inventions
    like the flashing yellow and red traffic light
    which seem to interrupt nature
    but although they weren't part of Your 7 days of creation,
        You made humans able to think
                                            and tinker
                                            and design
                                            and dazzle
What a wonderful Maker, who made all this out of nothing!

































        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solitude Reflections (August 2026)

8-25-26 "For all that has been...thanks To all that shall be...yes" Reflecting on my life     as a child, eager to follow You     ...