We'll have two full months in Osaka to live and explore and experience. It's a term called "slow travel." And honestly, I don't know what our day-to-day will look like. We have a few of the tourist destinations that we will hit, like the Nintendo Museum in Kyoto and Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan (sensing a theme?). There's also an Osaka "Amazing Pass" where you can hit up as many from the list in two days as you can. But that won't be every day.
I had thought that Lucas would be working as much as he does at home, which would mean many days when I'd be taking all the boys out of the house to give Lucas quiet workspace. But although he'll still be working, he plans on joining us for some adventure every day. Which will often mean walking in any direction and seeing what we see! Or hopping on a train, getting off at a stop, and exploring. The public transportation is very safe and affordable. For example, it costs approximately $2.66 for an adult train ticket to Kyoto (which is an hour away!). I think the kids may be even cheaper!
We are on the north end of Osaka, minutes away from grocery stores, shops, markets, parks, stations, etc. I imagine we may end up going to a grocery store every day since we won't be able to load up in the van a week at a time like we usually do. We won't have a yard, so we'll probably walk to the nearest park almost every day.
As I mentioned earlier, I'll have the boys write about their experience and they'll be learning Japanese, but we won't be doing traditional workbooks. "The learning is in the living!" Still, we'll probably settle into some type of routine for our own sanity.
We have several contacts in Osaka as well as cruise friends who will also be there, so we'll probably do some meet-ups with friends.
We are walking distance from Mustard Seed Christian Church (Osaka), a thriving bilingual church. So we plan on being there every Sunday and any other time the doors are open, meeting people, practicing our Japanese, encouraging believers and missionaries, and helping in any way we can.
No comments:
Post a Comment