Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Why Japan?

    I loved my college experience at Asbury. Maybe a bit too much--because as appealing as study abroad seemed, I couldn't bear to miss out on a semester of college life.

    But looking back, that's one of my biggest regrets from my college years.

    Early on in our marriage, I shared the idea of traveling internationally as a family, not just on a weeklong trip but getting to really experience the country. I would have gone to any country. Lucas, however, was interested in one country: JAPAN.

    I have a special place in my heart for Asia. In 2003, I had signed up to teach English for 6 weeks in China. The SARS outbreak in China changed our plans, and my team was shifted to Vietnam. Then less than a week before we were supposed to leave, we found out that our visas had been denied, so the team leaders scrambled and found us spots in Thailand. So, I've flown over the Pacific, spent time in the Hong Kong airport, taught for over a month in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and crossed the border in Myanmar and Laos.  I had always wanted to be a teacher, but after this experience, I set my sights on teaching at an international school in China when I graduated with my education degree. 

    During my junior year, though, I became heavily involved in a church in Lexington, Kentucky. Lots of exciting things were happening there, and upon graduating, I decided I wanted to stay in the area so I could continue volunteering at this church. Two decades later, my life looks very different than I thought it would. And at times, I've wondered if I made the right call by staying in Lexington. But God has a funny way of bringing things full circle in His master weaving.
    
    First, a worldwide pandemic similar to SARS from 2003 but on a global scale caused a dramatic B.C. (before Covid)/A.C. (after Covid) turning point for our family. I quit my teaching job I loved to stay home to homeschool our boys. And to make it financially feasible, I started teaching English to kids in China through VIPKid. I worked crazy hours (4-9am and also late at night), but it was a beautiful fulfillment of my dream to teach kids in China (just didn't imagine it would happen this way). Also, in part because of my contribution through my VIPKid earnings (and also because of Lucas working so hard!), we were able to pay off our 30-year mortgage in 10 years! To God be the glory! Also, because of homeschooling, we're freed up to be able to travel more flexibly.

    Second, although Japan was not on my radar, Lucas was incredibly interested in the gaming culture and food of Japan. So, Japan it is! We first started dreaming about a family adventure in Japan back in 2018ish, so for awhile I've been dabbling half-heartedly in learning Japanese and making Japanese connections. But ever since we booked our ticket over there (last November), I have kicked into high gear! I've been learning the language like it's my job! And I was praying for one Japanese friend for me to connect with. Well, God has opened the floodgates on that request and has given me dozens of Japanese friends! In January, I started volunteering with Friendship International, which has women gather every Friday from 30+ countries. But the Japanese by far are the largest contingent -- over 100 Japanese women! Turns out, the largest Toyota factory in the world is right here, which not only brings Toyota workers but also a bunch of feeder businesses (parts for Toyota, robots for Toyota, interior for Toyota, etc.).  

    So here I was with a heart for Asia but bemoaning the fact that I was stuck living a mediocre life in boring Lexington. But now, I see God's hand at work in planting me here. For such a time as this. 

    And in case you're wondering, I now love everything about Japan, even though I haven't been there yet! I love the food. I love the language. I love the culture. I love their way of doing things. And everyone I've talked to who has visited Japan has absolutely loved it. I can't wait!




No comments:

Post a Comment

How?

       I realize this is not a "Why?" question, but it's one of the main questions people have asked about (or wondered about)...