Saturday, October 3, 2026

More poetry musings pre-trip

9-24-26 This morning, I spent some time reading through my poetry notebook from less than a year ago when we booked our cruise to Japan. So much has fallen into place since then! I'm "scheduling" this to be posted while we are in the middle of the Pacific, since we won't have Internet access on board. Once we arrive in Japan, I'll fill you in on all that happened between LA and Tokyo!


11-10-25

My brain is overrun
    by the possibility
We've been talking about it
    for seven YEARS
        and dreaming about it
            for even longer
Wait until your youngest
    (which became Chance) turns 4
Well, looks like he'll turn 4 on the way over
    because the dreaming
        has turned into researching
        has turned into PLANNING
            with actual DATES
We're thisclose to booking
    a 16-night
        $4500 (total!)
        transpacific
        worldschooling cruise
    experiencing 3 Japanese ports
    and arriving in Tokyo in style
        (and not jet-lagged!)
Eeee!!! Is this really happening?
            Is this my real life?
Consecrate it all, Lord.


11-13-25
I used to view our potential year in Japan
    as a once-in-a-lifetime
            pinnacle-of-childhood opportunity
But I was also overwhelmed
                    (to the point of paralysis)
    about how to make that work for a family of 7
Two months seems a lot more do-able
                    (although still overwhelming)
        and can give us a taste
Maybe we can go back when the little 3 are older
Maybe one of the boys would want to return to study or on mission
Maybe Lucas and I can do a year as empty nesters
Yes, a year as a family would be quite the adventure
    but if it's so overwhelming that it never happens,
        then the dream becomes a regret
A scaled-down two-month adventure
    that actually happens 
        could be a memorable one-and-done
        but could also be a springboard for more


11-13-25
I get a little embarrassed
    thinking about the expense of
        a two-month-long international trip
            for our family of seven!
    but this isn't just a tourist vacation,
        it's an eternal investment
            in the lives we'll interact with
                on the cruise
                local Japanese (both there and here)
                missionaries
            in the connections it creates for Lucas
                both on the ground
                and back home
            in the way it opens our boys' eyes
                being in the minority
                gaining God's heart for the nations
                immersing in the language and culture
            in my roles
                as an intercessor for Japan
                as a connector with any future Japanese I meet
            in our family
                 with lifelong memories
                with a broader worldview
                with an I-can-do-it attitude toward international travel
Consecrate it all, Lord, for Your glory
                                and for Your purposes


12-23-25
I had said I wanted to be home
    in time for Christmas next year
        but maybe I don't...
Maybe physically removing ourselves
    from all the pressure of doing and spending
        is just what we need
I tried to be more planned
                        and do less
                        and buy less this year,
        but I've gotten caught up in all the hoopla again
It seems extreme to go to Japan 
    for a "reset"
        but then hopefully we'd come back
                                    more appreciative
                                and more aware of what truly matters
                                        and how little we really need
                                        in regards to activities
                                            and to stuff
In my "mean mom mode," I declared,
    "We're skipping Christmas next year!"
            (which made Cooper cry)
    but of course we're not skipping Christmas
                                        (the celebration of Jesus' birthday!)
                just all the commercialized, pressure-filled hoopla
I can't take it anymore!
    Japan (or Hawaii) is calling...

[9-24-26 update: We will miss the entire Christmas season in Kentucky. We do get to stop for 2 nights in Hawaii (since the multi-leg trip was the same trip as flying more direct and since Hawaii is one of only 4 states left out of 50 for me!). Lord willing, we'll arrive in Indiana on Christmas Eve, spend Christmas morning with my mom, then drive back to Lexington on Christmas day. A reset indeed...]


4-12-26

4 churches
    in 2 days
        over Easter weekend
Ashland
    for Resurrection Rally
        sharing the Gospel message and songs
            before the egg hunt
Southland
    for a baptism service
        cheering on
             one of my 5th grade girls
FAC
    for Sunday service and serving
        joining our church family
            to celebrate that "He is Risen indeed!"
Izumi
    for bilingual Japanese service and potluck
        sharing the hope of Easter
            with some who have never heard

4 churches
No competition
We need them all
Different types and sizes
    for different people
Happy Easter, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More poetry musings pre-trip

9-24-26 This morning, I spent some time reading through my poetry notebook from less than a year ago when we booked our cruise to Japan. So ...