Saturday, March 6, 2021

Lexington Parks - McConnell Springs


McConnell Springs (416 Rebmann Ln)
Location - off Old Frankfort Pike
Playground? no
Trails? yes, paved and unpaved
Other? woods, pond, spring, bur oak, historical, nature center, wildlife, picnic area, logs to climb around (near the entrance and off one of the trails)

    Love, love, love this place! I can't say enough about it! It's like a little oasis in the middle of an industrial area. There's history (this is where Lexington was named -- after the pioneers at this settlement heard of the battle of Lexington in 1775) and science (a natural spring and "boils"). There's a bur oak that is over 250 years old. There's wildlife (we've seen a deer once, and we almost always see turtles on a warm day at the pond). I came here when I was dating Lucas. I brought my oldest brother here and my friend Amy when they each were in town. I brought a gaggle of summer camp kids here from the Boys and Girls Club (my co-worker Larmont did the BEST/funniest nature tour). I brought my 5th grade classes here on the same day we toured the nearby recycling center. I took the boys to the Halloween event there. I hiked here with my in-laws here last fall when it was just starting to get chilly, and I picnicked here with the boys after the ice storm and we saw the the pond frozen over. Such a wonderful place full of wonderful memories!




I told him to look for turtles. He found the one on the sign (that's not what I meant)

Carter's trying to point out the real turtles


Over...under...


Peek a boo!

He can stand up inside there!

Here's the mighty bur oak. It's over 250 years old and has started to deteriorate, as indicated by the support beams to try to prop it up.



Back in the winter. This bur oak has seen the changing of seasons over and over

I had never seen the pond frozen over before


Snowy hike. It was a nice day -- still had the snow to make tracks in, but the weather had warmed up considerably


The "boils"


Happy picnic!

(Note: We visited all 88 LFUCG parks in the span of a Covid year -- mid-March 2020 to February 2021. These are not meant to be extensive reviews but more a record of our experiences. Eventually I will add hyperlinks to all the blog entries here)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...