Sunday, March 7, 2021

Lexington Parks - Shillito

Shillito Park (300 W Reynolds Rd)
Location - near Fayette Mall and Meijer. There are three entrances. It is near Stonewall Park and Wellington Park
Playground? yes
Trails? yes (paved), plus lots of forested area to romp around in
Other? open field, basketball courts, tennis courts, shelters, pool (seasonal), creek, disc golf, train nearby

    Shillito is one of the most popular parks in Lexington. After conquering Stonewall, Wellington, and Southland Parks (by walking to them), we set our sights on Shillito.  It's pretty far for me to take 4 boys, including 2 in a wagon. Admittedly, we did call Daddy to come pick us up so we didn't have to walk all the way home. Shillito was the only Lexington park I visited while attending Asbury, 20 minutes south. I've been there countless times since, including with Boys and Girls Club summer camp kids for 5 years and my own kids these past 9 years.  I was really, really sad that they tore down the old wooden play structure.  We even came the last day before demolition. The new one is nice, though, and has some of the similar imaginative-type structures but with composite wood. We visited the playground on a cold January day. My first thought when I felt the weather was that I definitely didn't want to go outside in that, but then I realized that everyone else would feel the same way.  Sure enough, the playground was empty and ready for four boys to run around like wild banshees.
    Shillito is full of amenities and is worth checking out!

A snack break after our long walk




I think this was right before a brother bumped into him, and he fell down the side of the tree


There are little forest alcoves. Once you find a way in, they open up and provide a little hideout



We also met Mamaw and Papaw here once for a Chick-Fil-A picnic





And here's the chilly day at the playground




One of the reasons they replaced this playground (and Jacobson's) was to be more wheelchair-accessible. Now there's a ramp that leads up to the main play structure


Here's an area for the little guys (although of course the little boys don't like being limited to this area)

I love this music area! It wasn't here the last time we came. There's music for you to play actual songs



He hates having things on his hands




This is a roll-on merry-go-round



Lexington has several tandem swings with a grown-up swing matched with a toddler swing, but this was the first I've seen for two kids to swing together

(Note: We visited all 88 LFUCG parks in the span of a Covid year -- mid-March 2020 to February 2021. These are not meant to be extensive reviews but more a record of our experiences. Eventually I will add hyperlinks to all the blog entries here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...