Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Scripture Song World Record!

I have 3 world records! They're not officially in the Guinness book, but I didn't just make them up, either. My friend Phil has been keeping track of others singing Scripture songs from memory, and after this past week, I hold the records for most Scripture songs sung from memory in English, in one language, and in multiple languages.

Here's the breakdown:
6 nights
12.5 hours
2,702 different verses sung from memory in English (beating my previous record of 769 verses sung in English and someone's previous one-language record of 993)
34 verses sung from memory in 11 different languages
2,736 verses sung from memory in multiple languages (beating someone's previous record of 1,183)

(Here I am in my husband's office in our basement, 
with our friends Phil and Jacky following along)

Back in 2019, I set the unofficial world record for singing from memory the most Scripture songs in English. Here is the recording of the 3 1/2 hours of me singing 769 verses, using only the verse references and songwriters as prompts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... I also didn't include any duplicates (in other words, only one song for John 3:16 even though I know several in multiple translations). Some were individual verse songs, and some were whole chapters or books!

Three years later, I wanted to try it again, both to increase my total and to break the records for Scripture songs sung in various languages and in a single language (which had previously be in Indonesian). Since my first time, I've memorized lots of other Scripture songs (although I've also forgotten several along the way, too). A couple differences this time around:

--I divided up the challenge (partially for scheduling purposes and partially to preserve my voice) into 2-hour increments over the course of a week (Sunday - Saturday from 8-10 EST each night, with a break on Wednesday). 

--I had someone with me this time to give prompts/helps of a couple words when needed and to check off my progress (They had a list of the full verses in the correct translations. I had the list of references).

--I was 38 weeks pregnant and might have had to suspend the challenge to have a baby, but I'm thankful that he waited until the end of the challenge!

Just a note: I did sing (not recite) all the verses, but these were not fancy renditions and were mostly without accompaniment. 

What is my motivation in all this? First of all, to give glory to God, who gives us brains with the capacity to memorize more than we think! And hopefully, this will inspire others to take a step forward in their own Scripture memory journey, even if that means mastering "just" one new verse this month. Scripture memory has been a catalyst in my own walk with Jesus, and it has become my hobby, passion, and calling. I memorize way faster than I obey (Lord, help me!), but I "continue working toward the day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be." (Philippians 3:12)

Here's the playlist with all the livestreams (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmUPa4z98c8PpabLq1TSpFOvKWCiinkT-). Obviously, it's not meant to watch in entirety but is more for documentation. You can click around, though, to see, "Wow, she's still going!" or to realize my imperfections when I needed prompts or had to go back when I skipped verses.

Here were my daily updates:

DAY 1 UPDATE: I was able to sing 624 verses from memory (John 1-13) in two hours. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/IzHJC7Jrzx8. Again, it's meant to be more for documentation than for viewing, but you're welcome to check some of it out!

DAY 2 UPDATE: I was able to sing 442 verses from John 13-16 (ESV), songs from when I taught at a Christian school, James (NIV), Titus (ESV), and Psalm 119:1-144 (NIV). Once I get past John, this session has several with my guitar, if you're interested: https://youtu.be/3G7BmMbxkcw .

DAY 3 UPDATE: I was able to sing 404 verses from Psalm 119:145-176 (NIV), Seeds Family Worship and Integrity's Scripture Memory Songs, and Genesis - Daniel verses in the SwordGrip program (https://youtu.be/UigpEpK9aI8)

DAY 4 UPDATE: I was able to sing 300 verses from SwordGrip, NIV Kids Club, Awana, from my childhood ("I Will Sing of the Mercies of the Lord Forever," etc.), and from the Christian school where I taught. (https://youtu.be/IELzcH2KvKg).

DAY 5 UPDATE: I was able to sing 401 additional verses from my Christian school, the book Hide This in your Heart, Scripture Memory Fellowship challenges (Songs in the Night and REFRESH), Corner Room music, and several longer passages, such as Luke 2:1-21, Eph 2:1-10, and Heb 10:13-25 (https://youtu.be/a5vwduK0h5g)

DAY 6 UPDATE: I was able to sing 531 verses from the entire book of Romans, and others from Sons of Korah, Corner Room, and 14:6 The Way. I also sang 34 verses in 11 different languages.  (https://youtu.be/Cr1rnwdBVRo)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm Song Options

If you know anything about my Scripture memory journey, you know that I prefer and encourage memorizing with song.  There are many great Scr...