8-25-26
Like the chimes that announce the time
at the hour
quarter past
half past
quarter till
and again
I sat on this hill
facing east in the darkness
watching the pinks
waiting for the sun to break through
It came! A new day!
And now I sit on the same hill
this time facing west, darkness coming
watching the sun disappear on the horizon
and now back to the fading pinks
It left! Back in darkness
Every human on planet earth
experiences sun up, sun down
like clockwork
day after day after day
yet we do not marvel at the wonder of it all
Only an almighty God could set this into motion
I'm grateful that the Almighty God is also an infinitely good God
and also my Friend.
WOW!
8-26-26
HIKING
9 hour Alaska hike with Lucas
Chimney Tops hike as a family (including a 2-year-old)
2 mile anti-climactic hike to Hanekamp's Old Homestead today
How did we get there?
Step
by step
by step
One foot in front of the other
Taking a break or slowing if needed but not turning back
Not giving up
Keeping a manageable pace
Singing or talking when able, silent when not
LEARNING JAPANESE
Unlike a hike, the goal of "fluency" is a little less clear on when I've "arrived"
but it's a similar process
Step
by step
by step
One conversation at a time
One more listening exercise/textbook lesson/book to read
Keeping a manageable pace
If I keep at it, I'll reach my goal of ぺらぺら (fluency)
BECOMING LIKE JESUS
My ultimate goal is to look more like Jesus
Although I won't be perfectly conformed to His image
until I see Him face to face,
"I keep working toward the day when I will finally be
all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be"
I still take steps
intentionally setting into motion habits that help form me
reading my Bible when I feel like it and when I don't
showing up time and again
keeping a manageable pace, singing as I go
Step
by step
by step
8-27-26
"Being a Christian
is more than just
an instantaneous conversion--
it is a daily process
whereby you grow to be
more and more like Christ." -Billy Graham
Yes, all the splendor of justification
was mine in Christ when I turned toward Him at 7
But it's been a continual process
ever since that day
Daily choosing Him
Daily listening for His voice
Daily obeying His whispers
I haven't done it perfectly,
but over time,
I can see how these small choices
and habits
have added up
This year marks 35 (!) years of following Jesus
and I'd like to think
I'm more and more like Him
with each passing year
8-27-26
In an earlier poem,
a phrase came to my mind
to describe the frenetic season I was in:
--I gave my life away to the church--
I wouldn't have said that at the time,
but that's exactly what I was doing.
I wasn't pursuing Jesus -- I was pursuing more and bigger and better
I wasn't spending time in the Word -- I was too busy volunteering
I didn't cling to Jesus' words -- I took notes and re-listened to my pastor's
I didn't get a thrill from the Lover of my soul but from an exciting building campaign
Lord, forgive me.
It's kind of ironic because at that church,
we often used the phrase
"give your life to Christ"
but was that really the offer on the table?
Or did we want more and more people who would
give their lives away to the church, too?
Now, years later,
I don't think my salvation was in question
and my faith has, thankfully, emerged intact
but I never again want to worship, revere, give my life away
to any rival lesser
than Almighty God
8-28-26
It's my last poem here on this holy hill before I descend
to "walk down this mountain with my heart held high
to follow in the footsteps of my Maker."
As much as I think I'd want to be cloistered away,
You've set me in a marriage
a family
a church
a city that all contribute to who I am
and to them, I return
I return a different person yet the same
I feel unrecognizable
after the daily sunrises, gatherings, hikes, savorings, reflections, sunsets
You've grown me up
You've restored my soul
You've reoriented me to my union with You
I've beheld the King of glory. You're beautiful!
I've breathed deep of these hillls,
and I'm seeing in new ways
You've kissed me with the kisses of Your Word
in a way I've longed for
You've had many gifts for me in the silence
Your job is to speak
My job is to quiet myself, hear, and respond
and 65(!) poems later,
I believe I've done just that.
Thank you for speaking...
No comments:
Post a Comment